Rotorua Travel Answers

change location
LindaHardy's Profile Photo

Transport from Tauranga to Rotorua

by LindaHardy Online Now Aug 15, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Hi, I shall be arriving by cruise ship in Tauranga later this year, spending just the day there, however I would like to visit some of the attractions at Rotorua, ie: Whaka, how do I get from Tauranga to Whaka by bus?, allowing enough time to see the attraction and return to Tauranga to board the ship later that same day. thank you.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Aug 15, 2009 at 2:06 AM

New Zealand is a low population country and because of that our public transport is rather low on scheduled routes.
    I'm picking you don't want to go on the ship organised tour. However that would be my recommended way. Even if you get a bus to Rotorua, you then have to get to the attractions, Whakarewarewa is not walking distance from the bus station.
    You can check on this site: http://www.intercity.co.nz/travel-info/
    Remember the Tauranga Port where you will be berthed, is at the bus station called "Mt Maunganui" - NOT Tauranga. It is NOT walking distance from your ship to Tauranga.
    If you like to give us the times of your arrival and departure we can try to further assist your query.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LindaHardy's Profile Photo

Re: Transport from Tauranga to Rotorua

by LindaHardy Online Now Aug 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Hi, I've been on a cruise before and last time when the ship docked in a port there were buses waiting to take the passengers into the city, had no idea that when ships dock at Tauranga its not actually in Tauranga, maybe once again they may provide transport into the city for the passengers. I thought the shore excursions from the cruise company tend to be a bit pricey so was looking at "doing it myself".

The ship arrives in Tauranga at 8.00 am and departs I think at 6.00 pm.

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Aug 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You can catch an Intercity bus right from Mt Maunganui, at 9.50am and there is a return from Rotorua to MtM at 3.15 by the looks. Depending on day of the week.
    The drive (remembering there are several stops en route) would likely be over an hour. I think it takes me just under an hour by car. That would give you a few hours to look around town and maybe get out to Whaka. You could contact the Information Office in Rotorua (where the bus station is) and find out about transport to Whaka.
    Personally I'd recommend maybe renting a car for the day to better utilise the time and see more in Rotorua.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Transport from Tauranga to Rotorua

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I also strongly recommend to rent a car as the best thermal sites are outside Rotorua, especially Wai-o-tapu.

There is a shuttle service in Rotorua which takes you for little money to some of the attractions, departing in front of the visitor centre, but you waste a lot of your precious time if you rely on that.

There surely are organised tours from Rotorua itself but they are so expensive that you could book the tour with the cruise operator, see here:

http://www.affordableadventures.co.nz/

A car clearly is the best value option, especially if you do not travel alone.

The Intercity return bus trip costs about NZ$ 40. To that you have to add the cost of the local transportation.

Please note that there are two geothermal sites at Whakarewarewa, separated somewhere in the middle of the original Whakarewarewa site, with separate entrances and entry fees. One contains the geyser, the other one the Maori village. You see the geyser from the village site.

In principle it is ok to do your own thing when on a cruise. The prices for tours offered by the cruise companies are hugely exaggerated in most cases. But regarding the lots of things you can see and do in Rotorua if you have a car, you should not try to save a dollar or two by trying to do it with public transportation.

There will also be other people on your cruise ship with whom you could share a car and divide the cost. Perhaps even the person who asked a similar question in this Forum not too long ago is on the same ship.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

by kiwi Online Now Aug 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

If you rent a car, you could possibly still have time to return to the port early and maybe walk around the base of Mt Maunganui. If the weather is nice, this is a lovely thing to do. Even better to climb to the summit, see pics on my MtM page for the views, but you may not have time for that.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines