Rotorua Travel Answers

change location

Te Puia vs. Whakarewarewa Maori Village

by Paulaann12 Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Are Te Puia and the Whakarewarewa Maori Village the same place?? If not, is one better to see than the other? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • lifeisatrip's Profile Photo

Re: Te Puia vs. Whakarewarewa Maori Village

by lifeisatrip Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 7:49 AM

We went to Whakarewarewa Maori Village but I didn't think it was referred to as Te Puia. I can be wrong, however. Whakarewarewa was fun. The show was fun to watch and the "hange" was good, although the line for the feast was quite long. We were still happy with the experience.

I hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Te Puia vs. Whakarewarewa Maori Village

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM

This is nearly a tourist rip-off...

Until the end of the 1990's Te Puia and Whakarewarewa were still one attraction for which you had to pay one entry fee. Then there was an argument and the geothermal site was divided, even "Whaka" itself, and since 1998 you have two tourist attractions side by side. So it is up to you to make a choice as nearly the same things are offered, geothermal wonders and Maori culture.

Whakarewarewa is only a third of its original size and features bubbling mud holes, hot pools, steaming and sulphor stinking flats, as well as Maori carvings, a meeting house and stage where you can twice daily enjoy a cultural show. It is now known as The Thermal Village which really has kept its original village feeling. You can explore the place on your own or join a guided tour, and I clearly prefer it to Te Puia - and it is cheaper ;-)

However, the main attraction of "Whaka", the very active Pohutu geyser, is now on the other side of the fence and belongs to Te Puia. But it can still be seen from the "Whaka" area, and it erupts several times a day and does not need to be fed by soap to erupt like the famous Lady Knox Geyser at Wai-o-tapu.

Te Puia did not only get Pohutu but also the other two thirds of the original Whakarewarewa. Officially it is The New Zealand Maori Arts & Crafts Institute. You can watch Maori artists carve and wave houses, canoes, weapons, jewellery and clothes and also buy the very expensive products. They also have a Kiwi House with two or so kiwis, and offer guided tours and cultural perfomances with song and dance, including a hangi which is the traditional Maori meal from the earth oven.

Info:
    www.whakarewarewa.com
    www.tepuia.co.nz

If you have time and a car my suggestion would be to skip both places and go to Wai-o-tapu instead, the colours are much more spectacular, and it has it all, including a soap-fed geyser named Lady Knox ;-) If not, I would - as said - go to the Thermal Village. If you are interested to see Maori at work, go to the other place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines