Rotorua Travel Answers

change location

Transportation via the Caves

by SyH Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM

I am planning a visit and my itinerary takes me from Auckland to Rotorua. I have learned about and found coach (bus) transportation from Rotorua to Auckland with a stop to tour the caves, but can't locate the trip in the reverse direction. Can anyone give me the name of a transport/tour company that would have such a trip? P.S. I'm having a similar problem with a one way from Queenstown to Christchurch including a stop at the Glacier in Mt. Cook, if you might have any information on that as well. I assume that the trips operate in both directions as the coaches have to return anyway.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Transportation via the Caves

by Kakapo2 Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM

If you have found the trip on the Kiwi Experience bus network it will not operate in the reverse direction. You have only Rotorua to Waitomo but not Waitomo to Rotorua.

I do not know exactly which other companies stop exactly at the caves but you can check out these:

www.intercity.co.nz
    www.nakedbus.co.nz
    www.magicbus.co.nz
    www.atomictravel.co.nz

However, the Intercity network shows that you have to go Rotorua - Hamilton and Hamilton - Waitomo or vice-versa. It is just more time-consuming than a direct serive.

The Waitomo Wanderer has daily services to and from Rotorua:

waitomotours.co.nz/packages....

Perhaps some North Islanders know of other shuttle services. Here on the South Island where I live I see new shuttle services every week, I nearly cannot keep up to date.

The Intercity definetely operates Queenstown - Mt. Cook - Christchurch in both directions. Most other shuttles do not go to Mt. Cook Village. However, there are other possibilities.

From Twizel (nearest town to Mt. Cook on the State Highway) you can take a local shuttle to Mt. Cook Village:

www.cookconnect.co.nz

Hope this helps.

Sissi

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines