Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Answers

change location

Please advise us on the best way to get to rothenburg from munich in december

by reynoldsvicann Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 6:26 AM

My husband and I are going to munich in dec to see the christmas markets and the castle in fussen. . We have a hotel for 6 might munich and need to return to there after we see the sights. Can you please advise us which means of transportation is best. We are open to trains renting car ect. Thanks so much for you hlp!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Please advise us on the best way to get to rothenburg from munich in december

by leics Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Can't help with car rental, but you can find out everything you need to know about trains and fares (in English) here:

bahn.de/p/view/international...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Please advise us on the best way to get to rothenburg from munich in december

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM

If you always want to be back in Munich in the evening I would not bother renting a car because there would not be much time left to visit other places on the way. That is why I recommend the train.

It takes about 3 hours to get to Rothenburg, so 6 hours in total just travelling. If you do not bother a 3:20 hour trip you can both travel on one Bayern-Ticket by using only regional and no high-speed trains. It is not much slower than the fast trains, but a lot cheaper.

It takes to hours to Füssen by train and you can also get there on one Bayern-Ticket as the trip is on a regional train anyway.

Train is also the safer option in winter, as it could snow around this time of the year - although it seems to become a tradition that snow falls only after Christmas while everyone dreams of a white Christmas. If it snows both regions can get a lot of snow, Füssen in the mountains, of course, but also Rothenburg. The autobahn A 7 in this region is infamous for its wintery conditions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rothenburg ob der Tauber