Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Answers

change location

Methods of transportation

by 3000ld Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 2:18 AM

Is it possible to fly from the United States to Rothenburg? If not, which city in Germany is better for arrival and departure to the US? I do not want to rent a car while in Germany. Is it possible to take a train from Frankfurt or Nuremberg to Rothenburg? I appreciate any advice offered.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • abalada's Profile Photo

RE: Methods of transportation

by abalada Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 9:10 AM

Closest Airport is Nuremberg (NUE), but there are no intercontinental flights to Nuremberg.

Next close is Stuttgart Airport (STR). Delta Airlines flies from Atlanta to Stuttgart.

But the best train connection - as it was already said before - is from Frankfurt Airport (FRA).

DB timetable
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    To: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

The cheapest connection is from Munich Airport (MUC) if you use the Bavaria Ticket for this trip. The Bavaria Ticket is valid one day for all local public transport in the state Bavaria. The mini group version for 2-5 persons is EUR 25,00. On weekdays it is however only valid past 9am. To find appopriate connections select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport". The limitation to local trains is of no big disadvantage on this route. Travel time will be 4-5 hours.

Rothenburg, Nuremberg and Munich are all in Bavaria.
    Rothenburg even in the public transport network of the Greater Nuremberg region VGN.
    http://www.vgn.de/?language=en
    Between Rothenburg and Nuremberg you can use a TagesTicket Plus (EUR 13,70). This is a day ticket covers (like the Bavaria Ticket) all local public transport, i.e. the for 1-6 persons, but only 2 of them must be older than 18 years. Such a tickettrip from any train/U-Bahn/tram/bus stop in Nuremberg to any train/bus stop in Rothenburg.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • abalada's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Methods of transportation

by abalada Online Now Jan 8, 2006 at 9:16 AM

sorry - a double mouse click garbled the last 2 sentences.
    This is a day ticket for 1-6 persons, but only 2 of them must be older than 18 years. Such a ticket covers (like the Bavaria Ticket) all local public transport, i.e. the trip from any train/U-Bahn/tram/bus stop in Nuremberg to any train/bus stop in Rothenburg.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines