Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Answers

change location
trout2121's Profile Photo

Topplerschlosschen in Rothenburg

by trout2121 Online Now Aug 22, 2004 at 10:55 AM

Does anyone have any information about Topplerschlosschen in Rothenburg? What little I found it is apparently down a trail from the Castle Garden. How far is the walk and is it worth it?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • flyingscot4's Profile Photo

RE: Topplerschlosschen in Rothenburg

by flyingscot4 Online Now Feb 16, 2007 at 11:24 PM

I think what you are referring to is in Detwang (the town below Rothenburg). "Topplerschlößchen" which is "Toppler's Little Castle," is a small, white, square house on a smaller base that belonged to Mayor Heinrich Toppler as a summer residence. There is a road/path that leads from the town to the town. It is not particularly strenuous, however the entire trek is about 4 km as I recall. For me, the walk is well worth it because the church there contains more work by the great master woodcarver Tilman Riemenschneider. There are well preserved grist mills in the area as well plus another church and a few other spots. If you are staying overnight in Rothenburg, then the time will be well spent. If not, the walk is about an hour and if you are only spending a few hours in the city, I don't think it would be worth it. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rothenburg ob der Tauber