Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Answers

change location

Is Whitsuntide Festival too crowded to see town?

by dmonahan Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

We will be in the vicinity for more than a week. We thought we would visit during the Whitsuntide Festival. We also want to see the town and take the Night Watchman Tour. Should we visit once early in the week when it's quiet, and go back for the Festival, or can we do it in one trip?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Is Whitsuntide Festival too crowded to see town?

by christine.j Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Except maybe for early November it's never really quiet in Rothenburg. And during Whitsuntide week it will be more crowded because the schools will be closed for the holidays in southern Germany.
    So I'd do the whole visit in one trip. I'd go Friday or Monday. The medieval market opens Friday at noon. Contact the tourist information about the night watchman tour, if this is still being done during the festival. I think so, but I'm not sure.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Is Whitsuntide Festival too crowded to see town?

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I'm sure Christine is right that Rothenburg is never really quiet but if you want to explore without too many crowds than an 'exploration' visit as well as a 'market' visit might be best.

Although much was reconstructed after the Second World War there is still great deal to see if you enjoy history and architecture. I'd certainly recommend a visit to each of St Jakobs (1300s) Franziskanerkirche (1200s) and Johanniskirche (1300s)....and maybe St Wolfgangskirche (1400s) will be open when you visit (it was closed when I went). And walking the back streets of the historical centre, away from the main tourist areas, is also well worthwhile.

So whether you make one visit or two really depends, I think, on how interested you are in that aspect of Rothenburg.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines