Rostov-na-Donu Travel Answers

change location
Drugness's Profile Photo

From Rostov to the Ukraine

by Drugness Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Hi
I'm planning to visit Rostov On Don as my last port of call in Russia before crossing into the Ukraine. Kharkov is a bit of a distance away so i'm just wondering where is the best place to cross the border into Ukraine from here? And is there anywhere worth visiting for 1 night before heading onto Kharkov? If i can get a decent overnight train between Rostov and Kharkov then all well and good. I'm not sure what sort of time this would require or if i would encounter much delay when at the border.
Thanks everyone
DG

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: From Rostov to the Ukraine

by bugulma Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 2:20 AM

there are at least 2 trains: train 109 at 3.54am and it goes almost 10 hours and train 27 at 6.32am and 11 hours for the journey.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kopvas's Profile Photo

Re: From Rostov to the Ukraine

by kopvas Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 4:08 AM

It is not the best thing to use direct trains from Rostov to Kharkiv, because of the departure time and plus you will lose the whole day in the train.
    There are couple ways to avoid it:
    1) A number of buses (up to 10 per day) go from Rostov to Mariupol in Ukraine (it takes 4 hours). From there you can get a direct night train to Kharkiv (17:51-5:02). This will save you some money, because domestic Ukrainian tariff is really cheap comparing to international Russia-Ukraine.
    2) There is a direct everyday night bus from Rostov to Kharkiv (20:00-7:35). Timetable of all the buses can be found here - http://www.donavto.ru/rasp2.html (but unfortunately it's in Russian only).
    3) You can catch Adler-Kiev or Kislovosdsk-Kiev trains in the evening from Pervomaiskaya station in Rostov (it is other train station in the city) and use them until Dnipropetrovsk (21:18-6:35 or 22:42-7:33) - in this case you will get some sleep. From Dnipropetrovk it is not a problem to get to Kharkiv by train or (mini)bus.

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 5:15 AM

Andrey (bugulma) has the best solution, is less complicated and is the fastest.

Mr. Kopvas' solution # 1 and # 3 are more complicated and take much more time. Calculate.
    Solution # 2 is less comfortable.

For fares member GyuriFT is one of the experts here on VT.

• kopvas's Profile Photo

by kopvas Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Mr.nhoolb, I hardly can see any point in your comment...
    If you read attentively the original task was "overnight" connection (in case of direct one), the trains at 3:54 or even 6:30am can hardly fit this category. In addition you will have to pay for an extra day of accommodation and will arrive to Kharkiv late evening - far not the best option for a traveler.
    In the case when you use buses from Rostov to Mariupol or Donetsk or train to Dnipropetrovsk it definitely takes more time, but you will have a chance to see another city (it was as well underlined in original message - "And is there anywhere worth visiting for 1 night before heading onto Kharkov?") and have much better starting positions in Kharkiv.

And about fares... you don't need to be too much of an expert here. If you at list ones traveled in Russia you should know, that everything you need in order to find out the best price - knowledge of Russian (as today - daytime trains from Rostov to Kharkiv app.1000 RUB "kupe"; overnight bus 600 RUB; bus to Mariupol 250-350RUB; Donetsk app.350 RUB and etc.)
    In the case of Russia you can't get 40-60% discount on international ticket as in Hungary, Serbia, Slovakia and etc.

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 7:00 AM

Another novel. (Or, said differently, too much writing)

Yes, I travelled in Russia.
    Yes, I travelled in Ukraine (a lot!)

GyuriFT is the expert on fares.

• Re: From Rostov to the Ukraine

by bugulma Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 5:06 AM

in any way, the train could be more comfortable for the foreign tourists to get point in Russia/Ukraine: you just sit/lay in the train and go directly...
    don't know about Ukrainian busses but Russian ones... I got busses if I only couldn't get another type of the transport. I vote for the trains in this case :-)

p.s. another option is to have a flight to Kiev and then to Kharkiv but it will be longer and more expensive :-)

• nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Agree about the trains.

Just a piece of general info:

The LCC Wizz Air started flying within Ukraine-although not covering the route/cities mentioned in this posting.

www.wizzair.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rostov-na-Donu