Rostov-na-Donu Travel Answers

change location
isildur06's Profile Photo

What shoud not we miss?

by isildur06 Online Now Mar 28, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Hi everybody !
With a friend I will be tarvelling in Russia next month. Rostov will be the starting point but I could not find much info. about the city. What are the best places to see in Rostov or around the town? Especially sites related with2nd world war will be interesting for me?
Also can one easily go to Azov from Rostov?

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: What shoud not we miss?

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 2:41 AM

Can't give you much or any info about Rostov. My son used to fly in and out of Rostov as he lives about 300 miles further south. However, he now finds it less stressful going through Moscow, as the customs officials in Rostov are absolutely dire. Just so you are warned for much hassle!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • isildur06's Profile Photo

by isildur06 Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM

do you mean they are asking for bribes or "small presenst" to let you in the country, or it is their bad attitude towards people?

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Absolutely the worst attitude towards people. Although my son speaks Russian he choses not to understand what they are asking that might smooth his passage. He just grins and shrugs and eventually, he is let through. People who argue or who get upset have a worse time, with often the confiscation of goods.

by isildur06 Online Now Mar 30, 2008 at 7:26 AM

I see. Thanks for the warning. From my experience unfortunately you can't avoid the bad attitude from people in Russia wherever you try to enter the country from or whereever you go. Hope it will get better with the new generations. Thanks again.

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 30, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Moscow is a totally differnet matter. That's why my son now uses only that route.

• whiteritter's Profile Photo

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Hi,Gorkem
    I am actually living in Azov now.If you are looking for some info about that region,you can find that at my homepage tips,just click them.I do not think you'll have a lot of custom problems if you are normal traveler but no smuggler.Custom officers never speak English at Rostov-na-Donu airport,that's true.Maybe you know,Azov was one of most powerful Turkish Fortresses in the past.They show that at Azov Heritage Museum.Cheers.Good luck.

by isildur06 Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Thanks Alexandr. Seeing remains from Ottomans would be interesting.
    Is it easy to go from Rostov to Azov?

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM

That's no problem.If you are going to use public transport taxi,would cost about25 from Rostov one way.From airport prices are doubled. There are small shuttle buses from Voroshilovsky street in Rostov to Azov.Russian vans Gazelle make, usually they have yellow color,look like Ford tranzit.And something more:if you are there,be ready:Russian policemen are very suspicious in the streets if they see somebody who looks like Asian person.They always check passports,visas.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM

That's no problem.If you are going to use public transport taxi,would cost about25 from Rostov one way.From airport prices are doubled. There are small shuttle buses from Voroshilovsky street in Rostov to Azov.In Russian you can ask MNYE NUZHNA MARSHRUTKA DO AZOVA(I look for a shuttle bus to Azov}. Russian vans Gazelle make, usually they have yellow color,look similar like Ford tranzit.And something more:if you are there,be ready:Russian policemen are very suspicious in the streets if they see somebody who looks like Asian person.They always check passports,visas,because they afraid of terrorism.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM

That's no problem.If you are going to use public transport taxi,would cost about25 from Rostov one way.From airport prices are doubled. There are small shuttle buses from Voroshilovsky street in Rostov to Azov.In Russian you can ask MNYE NUZHNA MARSHRUTKA DO AZOVA(I look for a shuttle bus to Azov}. Russian vans Gazelle make, usually they have yellow color,look similar like Ford tranzit.And something more:if you are there,be ready:Russian policemen are very suspicious in the streets if they see somebody who looks like Asian person.They always check passports,visas,because they afraid of terrorism.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM

That's no problem.If you are going to use public transport taxi,would cost about25 from Rostov one way.From airport prices are doubled. There are small shuttle buses from Voroshilovsky street in Rostov to Azov.Would you ask people in Voroshilovsky street in Russian: MNYE NUZHNA MARSHRUTKA DO AZOVA(I look for a shuttle bus to Azov}. Russian vans Gazelle make, usually they have yellow color,look similar like Ford tranzit.And something more:if you are there,be ready:Russian policemen are very suspicious in the streets if they see somebody who looks like Asian person.They always check passports,visas,because they afraid of terrorism.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Sorry,I have got some technical mistake.4 times the same post.

by isildur06 Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 3:20 AM

Spasiba bolshoi. Ya nemnago gavaryu po-ruski, dumayu sto magu naiti marshutki.
    And one more question, the museum you mentioned in Azov is open on Saturdays or Sundays? We can be there in the weekend.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 11:44 AM

All Right,nother bother(your welcome!)You'll find "marshrutki" in Voroshilovsky avenue just beside watch factory("chasovoy zavod"in Russian).Of course the Museum is open all weekend,that's their business.5 minutes walk from Museum located the Rampart with scenic view.Just ask in Russian:"Kak proytY k KrepostnOmu VAlu?"-How can I get to Rampart?.They show you direction.Then,do not miss the Arsenal("PorokhovOy POgreb")located just 300 yards to the South-West from Fortress Gate.If you'll return back from Azov by marshrutki as well,you'll find them near Bus Station("Avtovokzal")or at crossroad MoscOwskaya street/KollontAyevsky pereulok.Good luck.

by isildur06 Online Now Apr 2, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Thanks Alex for all the advices. I will tell you the exact date of my arrival. If you will have time, it will be pleasure for me to catch up for a drink.
    Thanks again.

by whiteritter Online Now Apr 3, 2008 at 4:02 AM

OK.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rostov-na-Donu