Roscoff Travel Answers

change location

Dinard Travel

by Pamelahall Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Is there a coach/bus service from Roscoff to Dinard, or a train service, we would just like to go to Dinard for the day from Roscoff.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Dinard Travel

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I hope VT member pfsmalo may see your question as he lives not too far from Dinard and as a resident knows the area well.
    However my experience in France and specially in Bretagne is that long distance travel by bus is rare and usually involves a number of changes.
    From Roscoff train journeys usually need a change of line at, I think, Morlaix

Roscoff - Dinard is around 120 miles and even by car could take two and a half hours. It might be worth while to consider hiring a car for the day if puclic transport will not work out for you this time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks Barbara.
    The problem you have for bus travel is that you start in the departement (county) 29 and Dinard is in the 35, but you also have to cross the 22 to do it. Unfortunately inter-county bus travel doesn't really happen in France. Plus Dinard has no train station anymore. The only feasible way to do this is :
    1) Roscoff - Morlaix bus approx. 45 mins
    2) Morlaix - Rennes train approx. 1h50 mins
    3) Rennes - Dinard bus approx. 1h50 mins also
    So you can see you have around 4 1/2 hours with all the changes falling just right, plus you have to go back again. 9 hours of travelling to see Dinard. Personally if you don't have a very personal reason for going to Dinard, it's just not worth it. I live about 15 kms from Dinard and by car I take around 2 hours to get to the ferry, so I suppose the idea of renting a car for the day would give you more possibilities. I don't want to put you off but you'd be better spending time in St. Pol and then Carentec or Plouescat, even Roscoff and the Batz island are worth a day of anyone's time.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 7, 2012 at 6:33 AM

I knew Paul would be just the right person to provide you with detailed information and am glad that I left it to him, as a local, to comment on Dinard.
    We made a special trip a few years ago so that our adult daughter could visit Dinard where she had been 25 years before on a school exchange holiday and, as we expected, her memories were dashed.
    So unless you have a special need to go there I second all of Paul's suggestions.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM

indeed pfsmalo is right, pretty complicated by public transport, best is the car.IF dont have one, rather see closer towns like Morlaix about 30 or 35 mins away on bus 29
    cheers

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines