Roscoff Travel Answers

change location
scuba44's Profile Photo

How to get to Morlaix to pick up car rental?

by scuba44 Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 7:57 AM

My wife and i are arriving in Roscoff on Saturday, May 26 at 7AM by ferry from Plymouth, UK. I need to pick up a car rental in Morlaix from Europcar because the Roscoff office is closed then. What is the best way to get to Morlaix? Any help would be most appreciated.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Morlaix to pick up car rental?

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I confess to never having been to Roscoff, but what about the train? Isn't there a local train that leaves Roscoff on Saturday morning at 08:16 and arrives at Morlaix 35 minutes later?

Unfortunately, if you miss the 08:16, the next train is not until 11:52.

P.S. Actually, I am guessing that the 08:16 is a train. The French rail website says "Autocar", which I guess could be either a self-propelled train (very local), or a bus...I don't know which...but in either case, it should leave from the rail station...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Well done Bill, you've got the time right and it is a bus not a train. You will have to get from Roscoff-ferry terminal to Roscoff-station as that is where the bus leaves from, as Bill says at o8.16 and the bus no is 32110 to Morlaix station. According to viamichelin.com it is about 1.8 kms, with luggage a good half-hour walk.

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Actually scuba, I just tried to book a car from Roscoff at any time, but it would seem as though the Roscoff agency is closed, the site will not take bookings at all from Roscoff. Worst comes to the worst perhaps you could give them a call and see if they can't pick you up, probably cost you but....

• scuba44's Profile Photo

by scuba44 Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Thanks both of you for your help. I just found this schedule online- telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...

and it indicates that there are two trains stopping at the ferry port de Bloscon on May 26 (Sat.) at 8:21 and 8:35 AM. Hopefully this is accurate and we can catch one of them without having to walk into town. Not sure if this is a train or bus, but it really doesn't matter if it goes to M.orlaix

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

The later bus (at 08:35 or whatever) is not running if I read footnote #18 correctly - it was running only on certain days in December and January.

Bill

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Bill is right again, about the 8.35, only ran around the Xmas period. You're lucky though it seems as though that one at 8.16 swings past the port in Bloscon so you won't have the walk into town.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

There is also a local bus, number 29, from Roscoff ferry to Morlaix at 0745.

Details

viaoo29.fr/ftp/FR_documents/...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 7:22 AM

yes for the bus site page as previously given, and you can see all the schedules here
    http://www.viaoo29.fr/

you can also, check the Roscoff tourist office site for all forms of transports available to Morlaix and al.
    roscoff-tourisme.com/index.p...
    Hope it helps your planning

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

In looking at
    viaoo29.fr/ftp/FR_documents/...
    it seems that this bus runs year-round Monday through Friday, and on Saturday (the day we need) during the "PĂ©riode scolaire" (school term, I assume)...but does it also run when school is out: "Vacances scolaires"? Hmmmn, this is a funny layout...I just want to make sure that this bus is running year-round...and in Brittany, just when is the school term?

Bill

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Quite right to ask Bill, but on checking, the buses do run every Saturday, but the one we're looking at, the 7.45 one, is the only one that actually starts at the ferry terminal, which I suppose without checking Brittany Ferries schedule, corresponds to the arrival of the ship.

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Yep, the OP says that the ferry arrives at 7 a.m., so the bus is clearly timed to the ferry arrival...I wonder how long the bus waits if the ferry is late? I wouldn't be surprised if the bus accommodated slight delays...

Bill

by pfsmalo Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Probably Bill, but as it is a local bus it may be needed elsewhere on other runs after, so it may not hang around too long. Saying that, Brittany Ferries may have an agreement with the bus co. concerning lateness of arrival, although when I worked for them in St. Malo there was nothing like that.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM

yes good observation, school is out now to april 23rd in Brittany, my kids are with me in Versailles now.
    then in May they have 27 avril and 4 may pont or bridge days, also on May 16 and M&y 25. They go to lycee pro or professional high schools, so elementary and regular middle schools might differ slighly

however, the buses are link to the ferry or the train ,and will give it time if the ferry or train is a bit late. Hope it helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines