Rome Travel Answers

change location
mccalpin's Profile Photo

How will the Papal resignation affect visitors to Rome?

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

For the next 30-40 days, I will conduct an experiment here at VT using the new features of the website. As you know, VT does not (yet) have a good way to communicate breaking or time-sensitive news that is important to the traveler. While VT is working on solutions, I would like to use the existing and recently added features of the website to try to follow the events in the Vatican and report how they may affect travelers to Rome in the next 30-40 days.

To do this, I will add - hopefully daily - updates to schedules and changes in the Vatican (and Rome) that affect the typical visitor, such as changes to the hours of the Vatican Museums, changes to access to the Basilica, changes to audiences and the Angelus at noon, changes to the Necropolis and gardens tours and whatever features of the Vatican that visitors can access, as well as changes in Rome related to the conclave.

I am posting this notice here in the Vatican City Forum, the Rome Forum, and in the Misc Forum, BUT I am adding all updates to the Comments at the bottom of the page of the Vatican City Travel Guide (Vatican City Travel Guide. If you lose this link, just do a search on Vatican City as a destination - you'll get one hit, which will be the Travel Guide for Vatican City.

Go to the bottom of the page for the Comments. If you want to be notified of any new comments, then find the box with "Follow" to the right of "Comments" near the bottom of the page, and click it. Your Dashboard will be updated each time a new comment is added.

Of course, you are invited to add your own comments about the changes in the Vatican about any updates that you have discovered, or to ask any questions that affect your travel plans in particular. I and the rest of the VT Community will answer them as quickly as we can.

I expect to keep this up until a new Pope is elected and the Vatican settles back into a routine...until then, please subscribe to the Comments on the Vatican City Travel Guide, and let me (and VT) know how well this experiment works for you.

Bill McCalpin
Vatican City Travel Editor
mccalpin@vtmail.com

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: How will the Papal resignation affect visitors to Rome?

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Excellent post Bill. Travelers to Rome will hopefully see up to date info as to what is going on and how it is impacting daily lives.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

What a great idea!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

by Jerelis Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Truly a great effort! Keep us posted :)

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Great, Bill, was hoping you'd do this as the election is going to snarl things up a bit. But unless i'm missing something, I just looked at the general Rome travel guide and don't see your info in the comment section: might be a good idea to add it there as well?

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Kate, I am posting the info on the Comments section of the Vatican City Travel Guide, not Rome.

I have to admit that this has been a source of much confusion over the years, as it's natural to want to look in "Rome" for the "Vatican", but in VTland, Vatican City is a separate country, co-equal to Italy.

But, now that you mention it, I'll go put a comment over on the Rome Travel Guide pointing to the Vatican City Travel Guide...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Oh, Kate, I just re-read your post...let me think about double-posting...

Bill

by goodfish Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Ah, I see you decided to add it to the Rome guide. A good decision as I'm guessing a fair amount of researchers will be using that guide versus the Vatican City pages?

Over 8 years on VT and two trips to Rome, I've never really thought about VC as a separate destination - even though I know that technically it is. {:O}

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Yeah, I thought about what you said, and decided to double post...I hope I'm not violating some arcane VT rule ;-)

Bill

by goodfish Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Hmmm, I don't know why that would be a problem considering the unexpected complications at one of the biggest tourist attractions in one of the biggest tourism cities in the world? IMHO, you can't possibly over communicate the developing situation.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Bill, I think that the double/triple posting is Okay. I've done this for the San Diego Travel Guide. I posted the Info on the Intro page, the Category Page and the Sub-Category page and if it would apply, I would have posted in the "major" destination page of a near by city.

I think this is the policy of VT.

Look what happens when we post a question on the Travel Forum. Post it in the specific destination: Vatican City and it appears in the Europe Forum and the World Forum. You're just doing the same thing.

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

by domenicococozza Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hi Bill,
    I suppose this means that my lunch appointment with Il Papa will be cancelled!!!!

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Nah, Dom, just wait a couple of weeks, and you can join the Pope for lunch at Castel Gandolfo...and help him finish up his paperwork! ;-)

Bill

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Excellent idea, it will be interesting to see how it works and may give pointers to other editors when they eventually come online.

1 member found this helpful

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Good idea!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines