Rome Travel Answers

change location
AnaLuiza's Profile Photo

Airport in Rome

by AnaLuiza Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM

I am going back home from Turkey and will have some free time at the airport in Rome. On a Saturday, I will arrive at the airport at 2:30 pm and my next plane leaves at 11:30. Will I be able to go and enjoy the city for some hours and Be back on time? How is The traffic? Should I take a taxi or a train?
Thanks everyone

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • gabesz's Profile Photo

Re: Airport in Rome

by gabesz Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 5:47 AM

If you arrive at 2:30 it may be 3:30 before your board the train into Termini station. That takes about an hour to get there. You are however in the center of Rome at 4:30. You have to be back at the airport at 9:30 or so which means you must leave Termini at 8:30. So it gives you 4 hours roughly to see Rome and have dinner. Check the subway maps in Rome to see what is the nearest site worth seeing in Rome (probably the Coloseum and that area) then have dinner and head back to Termini for the flight out. Note that the question you did not ask is about your luggage. Will you have some? If so that will slow you down. There was a storage area in Termini station to store luggage, but not sure if still open or not and how much they charge. Its near the tracks to the train that comes and goes to the airport. Forget the taxi due to traffic and cost.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

you will be able to see some indeed taking the train to termini. here is the info on getting in and out
    adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma...
    in English

hope it helps

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yes, you should have time to see at least a little of central historical Rome.

Taking the direct train to Rome Termini is the fastest way. You do not need to buy tickets in advance online: you just buy them at the station which is within the airport terminal and well-signed.

Journey time is just over 30 minutes. Train times, details and fares in English here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

The fast train will take you to Termini railway station in Rome. From there the Colosseum is about 25 minutes easy walk (do visit the magnificent Santa Maria Maggiore on the way: its marble largely comes form the ancient Roman city). If you don't want to walk you can take the Metro from Termini to Colosseo:

http://www.rome.info/metro/

which will allow you to see the Colosseum and the ancient Forum (the area around the Colosseum is one vast archaeological site).

If you do have to keep your bags with you there is a staffed baggage storage facility at Fiumicino airport (we are all assuming that is the Rome airport at which you are arriving):

adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma...

It is in Terminal 3 (international arrivals) and is open 0603-2330 every day. Each piece of luggage will cost you 6 euro for up to 24 hours.

There is also a staffed luggage storage facility at Termini station, well-signed, open from 0600-2400 and with prices per item 5 euro for the first 5 hours, 70 cents for the 6th-12th hour.

Do allow ample time for your return to the airport and collecting your luggage. There will almost certainly be queues at both the airport and Termini's luggage storage facilities.

• AnaLuiza's Profile Photo

by AnaLuiza Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Thanks, everyone!
    I will not have any luggage with me. As you said, I will take the train and be quick.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

enjoy Roma, the eternal city lol!!!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

The suggestions above are probably what you'll want to do, despite what I am about to say... ;-)

First, the Leonardo Express train to Termini (main train station) takes 35 minutes to make the trip. When gabesz said an hour, this was allowing for the 30 minutes between each train...so it's good to allow an hour for the trip, but if you look at the departures carefully, so you might be able to buy some more time by timing your departure.

Once you're at Termini, you are also on top of the Metro stops for both Metro lines. As leics noted, you could take the Metro down to the Colosseum stop (but it's only the second stop), but you will find the Metro more useful if you want to go someplace farther afield, like the Vatican. There are two Metro stops used for the Vatican: Ottaviano and Cipro/Musei Vaticani. Use the Ottaviano stop, as it's closer to St. Peter's Square and Basilica.

There is also another train from the airport - the FM1. This train is cheaper, has more stops, and does NOT go to Termini, but to several other stations in Rome. The one that might interest you the most is Ostiense, outside the Porta San Paolo. Here you could get off, then pick up the same Metro line for the Colosseum but going towards Termini. Or, if you walked, you would end up passing by the "pyramid" (yes, a genuine pyramid in the south wall of the City) then on up to the Circo Massimo where you could go in several directions.

The FM1 train leave every 15 minutes, unlike the Leonardo Express that leaves every 30 minutes. And the FM1 is something like 8.00 euro as opposed to 14 for the Leonardo Express. And since the FM1 takes on 32 minutes to get to Roma Ostiense, depending on the timings, you could get to Rome Ostiense almost 20 minutes before you could get to Termini...or not...it really depends.

And, of course, depending on what you want to do, you could go in one station and leave from the other.

So, if you have a definite destination or area in mind, one way might be better than the other...but if you want to just walk around, see the City, and eat well, then the advice above is perfect - go to Termini, walk around, eat, and have a great tinme...

Bill

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Airport train to Termini and then metro to the colloseum. There are long queues to go into the sights in that area. With not a lot of time you should just wander around the outside. (Unless maybe you purchase tickets on-line in advance). You can see the colloseum and a lot of the forum, imperial forums from the outside. There is a good view over the forum from the free entry road that goes up the Palatine Hill, but you cannot see the remains of the Palatine itself from here. You would also have time to see the Capitoline Hill and monument to Victor Emmanuel II - good views from both.

Rome is a wonderful city to explore on foot just remember to leave enough time to walk back to the metro for your return journey to Termini. With limited time I would avoid buses as the traffic is bad.

by AnaLuiza Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM

As we've been to Rome before, we would like to try to go to a Store called La Rinascente (I heard there are two different ones) and to an exhibition an MACRO.
    Do you know where we should get off the train? Is there a route you could suggest?
    Thanks again!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:00 AM

La Rinascente is on Via del Corso...central and easy to get to. Put 'la rinascente rome' into googlemaps and you'll see exactly where it is. Barberini is the nearest Metro station.

If you click on 'international visitors' on their website:

http://www.rinascente.it/webapp/

you can print out a coupon for 10% off.

I don't know if there's another store in Rome...there's a 'design supermarket' linked on their site, but it's near Milan.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM

By MACRO I think you mean the Museum of Contemporary Art in Rome?

http://www.museomacro.org/

I've taken this info from the website (not visited myself):

There are two branches: one on Via Nizza (open Tues-Sun, 1100-1900, Saturday 1100-2200, entrance 12 euro):

Tram / ​​Bus:
    19, 3 ( ​​stop Viale Regina Margherita / Nice) 38 (Nice stop / Mantova) 80 (stop Viale Regina Margherita / Nice) 86 (Fiume stop) 88 (Nice stop / Mantova) 92 (stop Salaria / Isonzo)

and a new, presumably smaller, branch (opened 2012) in Testaccio (open Tues-Sun, 1600-2200, entrance 5 euro) on Piazza Orazio Giustiniani:

>719, 63, 630 (stop (Galvani / Zabaglia)

I've not visited but the MACRO Testaccio would be about 15 mins walk from Piramide Metro station. There's no Metro station especially near Via Niza: better to take bus or tram.

The ATAC site will give you loads of bus and tram info in English:

atac.roma.it/index.asp?lingu...

by AnaLuiza Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Thanks again you guys! You were great!

• leics's Profile Photo