Rome Travel Answers

change location

Using Roma Pass for Bus from Roma Ciampino Airport

by AngeliaDermawan Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Hai there, i'm going to Rome at early week of May. I'll stay at Rome for 3days. After reading all the post about Rome, now I'm thinking about buying Roma Pass since lot of people advicing that it worth for the entrance to Colosseum and transportation. My question is can we use the Roma Pass to take the bus/train from Rome Ciampino Airport to Roma Termini train station? since I'm thinking to purchase Roma Pass online.

Thanks for any reply of this question.

Quote & Answer
20 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Using Roma Pass for Bus from Roma Ciampino Airport

by leics Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Actually, the Roma Pass (like all European city passes) is only worthwile if you intend to use all or most of its free/discounted entrances. You need to check that what it offers is worth it for what you want to do:

romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=...

You can buy a 3-day transport ticket for 11 euro. Easiest place to get these is from the newsagents booths at Termini bus station (next to the railway station).

You can buy your entrance ticket to the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine online if you wish. Put 'colosseo' into the searchbox on the official site here:

pierreci.it/home-page/en/mus...

The Romapass page makes it *very* clear that transport to/from Ciampino and Fiumicino airports is not included:
    romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=...

Best way to get from Ciampino to Termini is to take the Terravision bus, imo. You can book online or buy the ticket in Arrivals if you prefer (I'd rather book online, personally):

terravision.eu/rome_ciampino...

Or you can use the Sitbus shuttle if you prefer:

http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/ciampino/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Agree with Leics totally.
    Actually, if you look back through similar posts I believe you will find many/most people have agreed that the Roma pass is not worth it.
    First off, Rome itself is a very walkable city - the trick is basing yourself in a very central location.
    Secondly, if you look at your transport costs, as Leics has mentioned, adding it up you will find that you will not use up what the pass is charging you for the convenience.

Homer

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM

just so you have one more opinion, I'll go with Homer and Leics above that the pass probably isn't worth it. As mentioned, central Rome is more compact that you think, and the BEST way to see it is on foot. The pass also doesn't cover the total cost of enough attractions, IMHO, to make it worthwhile.

And as already mentioned, buying your combo ticket at the Forum or Palatine is easy and a good way to get around the long line at the Colosseum.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 6:19 AM

it's a lot of walking, but if you plan your travel in the city, it would be better and cheaper to buy the tickets on demand. I had a pass when I was there and sometimes it could be used and other times it couldn't. If I ever go back to Rome and had to see the sites again, I would buy a discounted tickets for the HO HO bus that you can find at the Termini station. Many times I look at the people on those Ho Ho and curse myself when I was walking the streets, (why didn't I just get the Ho HO pass?) Since you're there only three days, pay the extra and get the transportation that is most convienent to you.

cheers tommy x

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM

My wife and I will also be in Rome early in May (maybe we will see you there). Based upon comments in previous forums and a question of my own we are not going to buy a pass although I may have to look into the HOHO bus since we are staying a bit further away from the city center around the Vatican.

by goodfish Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:09 AM

We all travel differently... :O)

I'm not a HoHo bus fan although a lot of travelers enjoy them. Personally, I think they may be a good way to get your first-day bearings in the unfamiliar city but an expensive and not necessarily convenient alternative to your own feet or public transit: especially in compact and traffic-congested Rome. If at all possible, doing your exploring on foot will allow you to randomly stop into amazing (and free) churches you run into along the way and experience the culture of the streets. Also, if you run into a day of bad weather the buses are not as good for enjoying the sights along the way if having to sit inside and on an aisle versus a window.

So, it's maybe fine for your first day or exploring but I don't know as I'd use it s a means to get around for more than that. Besides, walking is a great way to wear off all the pasta and gelati you'll be eating!

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Just looked at the prices and I think we will skip that also. Will take a regular bus or the metro if we find ourselves kilometers from our hotel at the end of the day.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM

@ Rich - in your case yes, you might want to check the HoHo bus.
    When you initially said you were staying by the Vatican I was going to mention how far away you were from everything but then again, we did the walk from our hotel close to the termini station - long but worth it (once).
    If you don't get the bus pass however, there are metro stops at the Vatican which you can take and connect to forum, spanish steps, etc.
    Transportation in Rome is very easy and well done.

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM

On a side note. Had dinner at our house last night for Easter and we were talking about our upcoming trip. My mother-in-law who has traveled to many parts of the world but always with tour groups asked what tour group we we going with. I told her we plan our own trip. She then asked about the places we were staying at each night and did I know what type of neighborhoods we were staying in? I said we book our own hotels and I've seen comments from many others on where we are going to stay.

She just couldn't believe that we weren't using a tour group and is concerned that we will be staying in some bad areas. My sister-in-law then chimed in that the way people research and go on trips now is a a lot different from when she did the bulk of her traveling.

by goodfish Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM

We stayed up in the Prati across the river from Villa Borghese - not terribly far from where you will be Rich - and didn't take public transit once. An early morning walk from there to the Colossum/Forum/Palatine is one of my favorite memories.

As I was saying, we all travel differently (and that's just fine)!!!! :)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM

I have rarely taken public transport in Rome, although I do walk my legs off. But I always bus a 30day ticket simply so that I can use it when I get too tired..it covers bus, tram and Metro and, imo, is *much* more useful (and a lot cheaper) than any hoho ticket. The hoho buses follow specific routes..with an ordinary transport pass you can pick up whatever transport you need when you need it.

The whole concept of 'neighbourhoods' is really not as clear-cut in Europe as it seems to be in the US, and certainly not within cities. Even those areas which have the more 'colourful characters' are not actively dangerous for travellers (even solo middle-aged females like me).

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM

My mother-in-law is very much of a follower and is greatly influenced by what her friends have said. If one of her friends had a bad experience somewhere, sometime she thinks that everything must be so.

Quick question on the Rome transportation system and where to purchase tickets. We have decided to originally get to our hotel via a private car (BMW - looks nice and company has good reviews on the web - I'll take pictures of course of our own personal Roman Chariot Ha Ha). But we will do some travel by metro and bus especially when we leave Rome and go from our hotel to the train station on our way up to Florence. Anyway, where can I buy tickets and do they also have carnets like Paris?

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM

you can buy transport tickets from small shops like the tabacchi and newstands

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Afaik there are no carnets as such.

Individual tickets can be purchased from tabacchi/newsagents (throughout Italy, not just Rome) but not all of them sell 'biglietti' and not all of those which sell biglietti always have them in stock (over the years I've seen more than one tabacchi with signs in the windows saying they have no tickets).

That's why I always buy the 11 euro 3-day BTI ticket (it'll get you on the suburban train to Ostia Antica as well). Even if I don't use all 11 euro worth at least I know I can get on any bus/tram/Metro any time, and not worry about having to find a tabacchi selling tickets!

I buy my BIT from the newsagents booths at Termini bus station...it's right next to Termini railway station, and I just buy it when I arrive. The information booth doesn't sell tickets...it's the booths on the right (with the railway station at your back) which do.

If you don't want to buy a BTI then I suggest you buy a goodly number of ordinary tickets all at once. That way you won't have to waste time faffing about finding a tabacchi/newsagent which sells them.

You validate your ticket (just on the first journey for the BIT) inside the bus/tram, using the little yellow machines. Metro entrances do the validation automatically. You can, of course, buy Metro tickets from machines within the stations (and I have come across at least one bus ticket machine in my wanderings, although you needed exact money to use it).

Info about all ticket types in English here:

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thanks, it looks like I can get tickets very near where we are staying which is across the street from the Ottaviano metro station.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

and if you are buying a few at a time - count them

i came upon a bit of a scam when i bought 10 and was only given 9 - i counted them because i thought there was something funny about the look the guy gave me

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I use the metro to the Vatican city from the Spanish Steps...it was easy just to buy the tickets, but the walking up and down in the heat really exhausted . After we came out of the metro we had to get our bearings again to vatican City that was three long blocks away. City buses is easy to use....if you know where they are going just like in barcelona. the extra money for the Ho Ho bus takes you to the sites. you do have to stand in lines sometimes, but it is door to door service and also if you decide to walk, it's fine because you can find another ho ho bus stop at your next destination. Even though the sites are close to each other, there is a lot of walking....So much that sometimes when I get to the site, I rather sit on the bench than tour the site because it means I will have to climb the hills and steps. I guess the best suguestion would be take your time to see Rome because the city itself is big, the site location and area is big. there is a lot of walking. Rome was not built in a day, so it can not be seen in just a few. LOL

cheers tommy x

• Re: Using Roma Pass for Bus from Roma Ciampino Airport

by AngeliaDermawan Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I will update about Rome later when I'm there.

• Re: Using Roma Pass for Bus from Roma Ciampino Airport

by AngeliaDermawan Online Now May 4, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Hai, this is my first day here in Rome. I took the Terravision bus from Roma Ciampino airport to Roma Termini Station and it cost 4 euro per person. I bought it at the ticket office in the airport.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now May 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Yes, Terravision is (imo) the easiest way into the city from Ciampino (and back again).

Enjoy Rome! :-0

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines