Rome Travel Answers

change location
high_d's Profile Photo

ROME VISIT (Daytrips + Paris)

by high_d Online Now Apr 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Hello everyone,

How's September for a Rome visit? What festivities happen around then? Hopefully I was thinking by then it would also not be too terribly hot. Since we'll be in Rome, what other nearby places/daytrips should we consider?

Also, any suggestions for the best way (money-wise) to get to Paris from Rome? So many questions, huh? Any tips/advice will be much appreciated:)
Thank you,Gracias,Danke,Merci,Salamat:)

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: ROME VISIT (Daytrips + Paris)

by leics Online Now Apr 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM

September should nt be unbearbaly hot (depends whe in Spetember, of course).

Daytrisp? Ostia Antica ( a sort of mini-Pompeii, the ancient port of rome)is a must (Metro to Pyramide, then train from the adjoining station to Ostia Scavi...your 3- or 5- day transport ticket will cover tha train fare). Tivoli, with the beautiful Villa d'Este and Villa Adriana (Metro to Ponet Mammolo, then blue cotral bus fromthe adjoining bus station). I have Vt pages on both places.

By train, lots of other places: Orvieto, Tarquinia, even /florence or Venice if you want an early start and a late return.

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

will give you train times, details and fares in english.

As for getting to Paris, budget airlines are the best option. www.whichbudget.com lists all European budget airlines and their routes, www.skyscanner.net will give you cheapest fares and carriers for your dates/route.

Remember that budget fares rise the nearer you get to departure (you should book as soon as possible for September, no later than early-mid July). Remember also hold baggage limits (20kg for most, 15kg for Ryanair) and strict check-in times (a couple of minutes late for ceck-in and you will miss your flight with no refund).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • high_d's Profile Photo

by high_d Online Now Apr 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM

thank you! grazie! these are great suggestions:) I will also look at your travel pages:)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Hopefully, you'll find fewer typos on them than in my post!

:-(

Enjoy Rome! Make sure you take a morning or afternoon (or the whole day, if you take a picnic) to visit the catacombs and then walk down the ancient Appia Antica into what feels very much like countryside, lined with Roman ruins and almost entirely traffic-free once you get past the cafe (good cakes, they hire bikes there too). Info here:

parcoappiaantica.it/en/defau...

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I would just second that Budget Airlines will do good for you....

Best booked 6-8 weeks in advance, beware about luggage restrictions (often stringent but doable), and opearting airports (as mostly budget carriers use secondary airports which increase transportation to the city center)

Have a great trip...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Couple of corrections:

European budget airlines do not all use 'secondary' airports. Which airport is used depends entirely on the country/city. Many European locations served by budget airlines do not have more than one airport (e.g. Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Naples etc etc). There is always onward public transport avaialable even if the airport might be considered 'secondary'.

6-8 weeks is no longer the best time to book....it is now the latest time to book if you want a reasonable fare. Things have changed. The cheapest fares are found well in advance nowadays, 10-12 weeks or even more....often when the route is first bookable (6 months ahead, usually) and slowly rising from then.

by Mozumbus Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM

thanks leics for the corrections:

btw, I did not say that all budget airlines use secondary airports. in this case Paris-Rome, there is a high probability of this occurance...

booking a budget airline, not applicable for this route, too early may deprive one from the best fares, imo. At times more flights come in as the seat factor increases...

I can see using skyscanner.net that Ryan Air, Easyjet, Vueling, and Iberia are offering cheap flights. 70 euro may be a good bench mark including airline fare, all taxes, transportation from city center, extra luggage (if any), and advanced booking costs, imo....

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Budget carriers usually use Rome Ciampino, but it is not really a 'secondary' airport....it is not much further from the city than Fiumicino (if at all) and has good transport options.

I disagree about the fares. Having used European budget airlines several times a year for the past 8 years or so I can assure you that things have definitely changed since the economic recession (and since you were planning your Europe trip). Unless there is a sale (and one never knows when these will happen) then booking as far in advance as possible is now the best way to get cheap fares. Budget airlines cannot afford to fly with empty seats and organise themselves accordingly..so the idea that empty seats on a route result in lower fares shortly before departure no longer holds water.

I have been caught out recently with my flights to Krakow, when I waited until my usual booking time (10-12 weeks beforehand).....only to find that fares did continued to rise from their original (much cheaper) level when first available 6 months before departure.

Best advice is to book as early as possible, and certainly when the fares seem ok to you...holding out for a cheaper fare may well result in you paying more.

Also remember that the fares you may see advertised most often do not include airport taxes and charges. When one comes to the booking process, that 70 euro fare may well end up as 100+ euro.

by Mozumbus Online Now Apr 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM

@: When one comes to the booking process, that 70 euro fare may well end up as 100+ euro.

Thats what I mentioned; i.e. 70 euors including all overheads would be a good bench-mark. Multiple airlines are operating on the route-under-discussion but their fares, as quoted on skyscanner, can not be compared directly. Ryan Air is the cheapest but one should add other overheads, which will vary airline to airline, to fairly compare among options. Hope Leics you will agree... btw, your other observations are noteworthy...

• high_d's Profile Photo

by high_d Online Now Apr 12, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Thanks guys, this forum is great because I get as much info as possible. As you're both seasoned travelers, it's good to know what to expect and what to prepare for. I guess the bottom line is really to plan ahead. The recession has really affected practically everything. Considering the US dollar's already lower than usual and converting it to Euro hits the pocket even harder. Again thanks for all the suggestions and keep it coming (if you both hear anything new),it only makes me more aware of what can come up :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines