Rome Travel Answers

change location
gwened's Profile Photo

vacation decided now get some tips from the experts!

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:00 AM

ok can't find my previous post about choosing where to go with the family in summer. We usually spent smaller vacation time elsewhere and the bigger vacation in France or Spain. This year we decided to take the big vacation slot elsewhere.

had competition with Spain, Greece ,and southern France, and Italy won. We will be base in Roma, and of course will be branching out as much as possible, while keeping an eye on those Roman goodies and sights.

I will start looking at tips here, but in general what is best to do? my kids are young men around 20-22 who will be coming along with us. We have an apartment already book and the flight done on AF. Now for the rest, what?

Dare your answers, I have been to Rome before on business trips.

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: vacation decided now get some tips from the experts!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:52 AM

One of our favorite things to do in Rome (on a nice day) was walk the Appia Antica: something a lot of visitors overlook. Not pushing my own reviews here but it's easiest to just give you my links:

"A 21st-century pilgrim on the Regina Viarum" - Via Appia Antica Tip by goodfish

"How to see Parco Appia Antica" - Via Appia Antica Tip by goodfish

I have others from some things we did along the way but it's a start!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 4:59 AM

oh boy or boys, that is one big problem I would have with my grown kids, it seem they have seen a lot old stones around Europe ::)

But to me its interesting, it will be the council of states decision once in place as we have five deputies in the forum homelis lol!
    thanks

by goodfish Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:09 AM

So what do your young men enjoy doing/seeing? I want to throw Galleria Borghese in here (IMHO, a not-to-be-missed art museum) but there's that boredom factor again!! HA! The good news (for them) is that you are only allowed 2 hours for your visit; plenty of time to see everything.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM

yes museum they like,and parks, and lots of shopping to ruin papa and mama, and nice foods, and walks, and hopefully will get them into the coliseum or vatican or ...just do what the Romans do....

Yes we are big walkers so we stray all over the city, and then decide on the last minute where we are going to go in; and American boys, one trip to Germany in a small town past Trier can't even remember the name, we had to stop for burger king lol!!! awful I know but spoiled sunshine boys ::)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Take the train up to Florence one day. They rent kayaks at a place directly beneath the Uffizi. Kids can kayak the river and you can visit the art gallery . . . or wander Florence sans kids. ;^)

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

In the major capital of the ancient world it is impossible to move without seeing those "old stones." Here is a suggestion that combines a park and "old stones." Let me suggest a day trip to Ostia Antica (members.virtualtourist.com/m.... It is a 30-40 minute train ride from Rome. Once the port for Ancient Rome, Ostia is now an archaeological park, with fascinating ruins, made for exploring and discovery.

Villa Borghese is great for walking, as is the Janiculum Hill, where sweeping views of the Eternal City can be found. Galleria Borghese (www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm), within the park, is a precious jewel. You will need advanced, time-of-entry tickets.

Spend a whole day at the Vatican. Try to book a tour of the Vatican Gardens. Follow that by a visit to the Vatican Museums, followed by a visit to St. Peter's Basilica.

Wander the streets of the working-class neighborhood of Trastevere. While there visit the Villa Farnese (http://www.villafarnesina.it/?lang=en). There are great restaurants in this part of town, frequented by locals. Try Il Tulipano Nero at Via Roma Libera, 15, phone +39 06 581 8309. The Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere is magical place with Medieval mosaics and a quiet atmosphere.

1 member found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM

yes trastevere I know from my business trips that always end up mix :;:)

they would love it and the basilica for me its good for them the resto is good lol!

Florence is great, the foundation of the Italian language, will see once we get there. Thanks for the ideas thus, its beginning to be like a long list lol!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I am leaning towards Orvieto and Ostia antica. for the second week, as the first will be in Rome. Oh yes did I said we will be there for two weeks...the prices of public transport went up in April lol!!! its everywhere !!!! so we will be sticking to the car to head out as our apartment is outside the city center of Rome area. Oh yes apartment is better for large family and AF just adds the icing lol!!!

Now its going to be every weekend planning for it,and then deciding where to spend the other vacation time the French allows us ::)

by goodfish Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

P, just a reminder that you can do Ostia on just two BIT tickets (1.5 euro apiece). :O)

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM

oh yes read about BIT and CIS too ::) but the car is for a longer ride out Anzio where the allied landed and a nice small beach....

by goodfish Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Gotcha!!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Any other small town not the Florence (prefer Milan) around Roma, was thinking going across to pescara?

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

by Maurizioago Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It's you who are going to Rome!!!!

Ok. what are you looking for? About day trip I'd suggest to spend some hours in Tivoli to visit Villa d' Este. It is a 1500 villa with an extensive and beautiful garden.

What else? Rome has the tourist bus; hop/off/on which stops near the main sights. It would be a good idea to use it just to save time.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We like to walk and use to it so will try to minimize public transport just take it to go into city center and back . we will have a car second week to go elsewhere nearby Tivoli might be nice, villa d'este don't know. its a family trip so we all take a vote and I only count for one ;;)

by Maurizioago Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Tube is a good means of transportation in Rome. Buses network is quite confusing.

Rome is a large city.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

yeah but metro is underground Maurizio lol!!! I use when needed at the end of a tired day or to come into city center but then walking is best.

like if you walk out from Termini station what can you see within 2 kms of it ?

by Maurizioago Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Much will depend on where you booked your room.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

no i book an apartment just outside the city center area by viale XX1 aprile, I do to get out of the mobs, I can go in see walking things and then come back nice and quiet tothe aprt in residential area.

what I am saying is if I start from Termini what is there to see within a 2 kms ratio, which normal walk for us.

by goodfish Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Maurizio, we didn't have any trouble walking all over Rome. The only time we took any transport was to grab an FR train out to Torricola (to walk back into the city on the Via Appia) and to Pyramid and back one afternoon to do Cimitero Acattolico. Sure, it takes more time to do it that way but the sights along the way are half the fun!

by Maurizioago Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Ok. I stayed not far from Vatican City, so I had to take a bus to get there from the train station or from Navona square.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

We stayed near Termini and walked nearly everywhere, Vatican, Coliseum, Forum, Spanish Steps. The only place we didn't walk was the Appian Way and we took the bus. Rome is very compact.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 4:56 AM

That's my interpretation of most if not all cities in Europe, walking is best and easy. I have gone several times to Rome but on business and there we take taxis, but with the familly we always do the walk routine and never stops lol!!! the sights is the best of the trip like goodfish says.

I mention termini because we already figure we will get there from the outside by bus or metro and then start our walks from there while in inner Rome.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines