Rome Travel Answers

change location

Hotel Location

by JeanieA Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM

What is the best location neighborhood to stay in Rome to be centrally located for all of the major cites

Quote & Answer
18 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel Location

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM

for Rome I stay between Termini and bologna stations and you can connect everywhere from those.

you can look up destinations above for tips by posters like us in Roma. Cheers

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vichatherly's Profile Photo

by vichatherly Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I have to agree with that answer. We stayed at Hotel Torino.
    Via Principe Amedeo, 8,(Teatro dell'Opera) 00185 Rome

The hotel is ideally situated, five minutes from the main Termini Stazione bus and train station, and ten minutes walk to the heart of Roman Rome at the Colosseum

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:20 AM

We stayed near the Termini station in a hotel called the Borromeo Hotel: http://www.hotelborromeo.com/
    It was an easy 10 minute walk to the Colosseum, Pantheon, etc. straight shot down the main street in front of the hotel and only a couple of blocks (3-4)? from an underground which took us to all points further such as the Vatican.
    One could walk to the Spanish Steps or Trevi or jump on the underground and reach them.
    Additionally, we walked to and from the main termini station with our luggage both on arrival from Florence and departure to Naples.

We were very happy in this area and found it the most convenient.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Hi there and welcome to Virtual Tourist!

Central Rome is actually much more compact than most first-visitors realize: only a couple of miles wide by a couple miles long. It's easily walked, and also has good public transit so nowhere is really very far away from the sights. Those are scattered all over - the Colosseum is at an opposite end of the Centro Storico from the Spanish Steps - so what one visitor may consider "convenient" may not be considered so by another.

But we've rarely ever needed or wanted to use public transit as it's such a great city to walk! We stayed very near Termini (Rebubblica) last time and found it very convenient to everything plus an easy walk to/from our hotel from the station. Another time we stayed up the Prati, which we very much enjoyed but would probably be longer walk to the southern-most attractions than many visitors would like. Trastevere is another area many visitors enjoy but is considered too far for others. Then again, there's always public transit...

I'd probably choose somewhere around Pantheon, Repubblica, Navona or Trevi.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM

There is no single best neighborhood in Rome to stay in, or, as goodfish points out, because of the geography and transportation, there are a lot of "best" neighborhoods ;-)

Indeed, in Rome, it's also possible to stay just outside the city center in a cheaper place and commute in. Why not? Romans do ;-)

Note that buses go everywhere in Rome, so don't pick a neighborhood based on the bus. However, the Metro does NOT go everywhere in Rome, but is rather can irregular "X" that is centered on the east side of town. Thus, neighborhoods like Trastevere - the "medieval" part of Rome just across the Tiber from the center of the ancient city - have no Metro service.

But Kate is also right that many people have a great time in Rome and never find a need to get on the Metro. Sure, it's fast...but it's also underground, so you can't see anything. And it will be hard to find any walk that will be far (like a half a mile) where there aren't 10 things to see on the way, meaning that you would rather be walking anyway...

When it comes to neighborhoods, lots of people will say the Termini area, and indeed, because of the train station, there are a zillion hotels near it. But because I lived just outside of Rome west of town, I prefer the west side of Rome near the Vatican - it's a complete matter of personal preference.

Note that two of goodfish's locations: Pantheon and Navona, are quite close to each other, and would be what I consider the center of "pedestrian" Rome, a bustling area that is great to walk around in, and halfway between the Vatican and the rest of Rome...

Bill

1 member found this helpful

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Hi

We loved staying on Via Del Corso. It was well within walking distances of most major attractions (except the Vatican)

Hotel via Del Corso: "Exceeded our expectation" - Rome Hotel Tip by lynnehamman

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I like those sites above thanks. Especially since the rome-roma.net has a section on my beloved home of Brittany France ::)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM

You said you wanted access to "other cities" so I wonder if you're planning to visit places like Siena, Florence, Lucca, etc. If so, the closer to Termini Station the better and you've gotten some excellent suggestions above. Traveling by train in Italy makes a lot of sense.

Enjoy Rome.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

"centrally located for all of the major cites"

I don't think the OP meant "cities" but "sights"...or maybe "sites"...it's gotten to the point that even we native speakers don't know which one we mean ;-)

Bill

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

yes folks its sites, the OP just mispelled it. anyway the best location is still around termini; I go as far out as Bologna station. Not that the rest is far, all European cities are easily walkable.
    cheers

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Sorry. I should have caught that. My new eyeglasses are supposed to arrive this week. I'll be very happy when they get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

oh those eyeglasses I wear them too,and it takes a while with them as well ::)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I prefer the area around Piazza Navona. I seem to get better value for being in a nice area. As mentioned, Rome is rather compact and even if you walk most the day, a taxi back to your hotel is relatively inexpensive. Some people like the area around Termini. Personally I don't find it an attractive area. The area around Spanish Steps is nice, but usually a little more expensive. Enjoy..

2 members found this helpful

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Roadquill wrote:
    I prefer the area around Piazza Navona. I seem to get better value for being in a nice area. As mentioned, Rome is rather compact and even if you walk most the day, a taxi back to your hotel is relatively inexpensive. Some people like the area around Termini. Personally I don't find it an attractive area. The area around Spanish Steps is nice, but usually a little more expensive. Enjoy..

Agree about Termini area- I PERSONALLY do not find it attractive.

The great hotel we stayed at in Rome (Via del Corso) was under 100 euros per night, and close to Spanish Steps

2 members found this helpful

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Our B&B, ‘Guest House Masterintrastevere’, was a neat and clean affair. We had a largish room with an attached toilet. The room had A/C, a fridge, a large blower, TV and free wi-fi. Breakfast was in a coffee shop across the road and consisted of tea or coffee and a croissant. Not much but a deal at the price we were paying in high tourist season, Euro 480/- for six nights, inclusive of VAT but exclusive of Euro 2/- per person per night, City Tax. It’s other plus points were easy accessibility to Tram No. 8 that took barely 10-minutes to Largo Argentina, closeness to two bus stops, walking distance from a well-stocked provisions store (‘Simply’) and barely 500 metres from Rome Trastevere Station.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 3:54 AM

but is nothing to do with nice,just Best location folks lol!!!
    tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...
    that's a nice local friends recommend

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Just to note, the OP has another post asking "What is the best hotel that has breakfast and a lift in the Termini location. I am on a moderate budget and would like to pay UNDER $100 a night for the room."

And to add, our hotel was near Termini but not right on it: Repubblica is just a few blocks away from the station, and Quattro Fontane was 1 block up the street. Area had lots of useful services and we enjoyed it.

• BikeJohn's Profile Photo

by BikeJohn Online Now Apr 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

not to be everyone's taste, but this was based on price and convenience
    First time in Rome, we stayed near Trastavere station (not in Trastavere itself).
    Reasons being, didn't fancy the busy area near Termini or the more expensive 'central' areas.
    Fairly 'quiet' area
    On the local train line from FCO
    Handy train up to the port.
    Handy train up to (near) the Vatican
    A bit of a walk to the central area, but not too excessive (or local transport).
    Trastavere itself within walking distance or local transport.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines