Rome Travel Answers

change location

Question title

by anna205 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Do all budget hotels in rome have heaps of steps as my friend and I 56 and 60 will not be able to handle too many steps as well as our bags

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: Question title

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

It will vary. Best is to contact hotel and enquire if they have a lift, or book on ground floor.
    A good website to look at is Booking.com. They respond quickly, and have a huge selection to choose from. Just add your dates and query.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

anna205 wrote:
    Do all budget hotels in rome have heaps of steps as my friend and I 56 and 60 will not be able to handle too many steps as well as our bags

It will vary.  Best is to contact hotel and enquire if they have a lift, or book on ground floor. A good website to look at is Booking.com.  They respond quickly, and have a huge selection to choose from. Just add your dates and query.

1 member found this helpful

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM

No. We stayed in a B&B, ‘Guest House Masterintrastevere’, across the Tiber. We were accommodated on the ground floor.

1 member found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I am glad that Lynne and Anil both mentioned "ground floor". I don't know where you come from, but if you are from the US, it would be good to remind you that in Europe, they count the floors as "ground floor", "first floor", "second floor", whereas we in the US would count them as "First floor", "second floor", "third floor". Thus, if you see a hotel that says that its rooms are on the second floor, this is really the third floor as American count it. Make sense?

This is true even when they translate their website to English, because the British English use the same scheme as the rest of Europe, so while they use the same words as in the US, in this case, they don't mean the same thing. ;-)

Yes, you'll need to ask, because whether or not there is an elevator or whether or not the hotel even has any rooms on the ground floor will vary all over the place. Note that many smaller hotels in the city center will not be an entire building, but part of a building, where the hotel may occupy, say, one or two floors.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@Bill!
    Since we are more British than the British (LOL!), in India we also have Ground Floor, 1st. Floor and so on. I think the Americans have gotten wiser and also use Street Level, these days! That, of course, is besides calling a pavement a sidewalk and so on.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines