Rome Travel Answers

change location
phingy's Profile Photo

Easyjet flight from Rome to Basel

by phingy Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hi guys,

Have any of you guys tried the Easyjet flight from Rome to Basel? How reliable is the service as to the delays etc? I have read up online and it seems that the service is not that good?

Was contemplating to take the train but its quite expensive.

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Easyjet flight from Rome to Basel

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I've used Easyjet many times although not on that particular route. It is, imo, a very good budget airline.

Like all European budget carriers, Easyjet has very good reliability stats. Airlines pay extra if they miss their airport 'slot' so it's essential that they are on time as much as possible.

It's best to think of European budget airlines as flying buses. You won't get the frills you get (and pay for) with mainstream airlines but you will get from A to B safely and efficiently.

Make absolutely sure you are at check-in and the gate at the right time. Check-in and gates close when they say they will: budget airlines do not wait for you. If you miss check-in you will miss your flight with no refund.

Make sure you read and keep to the hold and cabin baggage rules. They are strictly applied (keeping down the weight means fuel costs are lower which means fares can be kept lower) and excess charges are very high indeed. Don't think a bit of extra weight or a slightly bigger case will go unnoticed; chances are it will not.

If you want more choice of seat you can pay extra for 'speedy boarding', which gets you into the first group to board the plane. Otherwise, you take whichever seat is free once you have boarded. Boarding groups are determined by time of checking-in.

As long as you are not expecting mainstream service then there's no reason at all, imo, why you should not fly with Easyjet or any other European budget airline. They have enabled millions of us to travel far more, and far more often, than we ever thought possible! :-)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Easyjet is usually quite punctual.
    They are also better than most other european budget airlines but be ware that european budget airlines suck big time compared to most asian budget airlines.
    Everything has to be paid extra for pretty much and the seats are crapmed, but staff generally nice and cheerful on easyjet.
    I would say it's like Tiger Airways minus 25%

• phingy's Profile Photo

by phingy Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Thanks guys! I've checked out Easyjet's facebook and they said that they will be releasing the winter schedule sometime next week! I think it would be much easier for me to fly Rome-Basel-Zurich than to train Rome-Zurich :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Not so sure about that, to be honest. You will have to get to the airport (allow an hour, whichever Rome airport you are using) to be there 2 hours before departure (unless you only have cabin bagage?), spend time in Basel waiting for your connection then spend time waiting for your bags to arrive at Zurich, plus time getting into Zurich itself.

Train goes from city centre to city centre and takes just under 7 hours, with one change. You won't be much, if any, faster if you fly and you may well find that train is cheaper if you have hold baggage.

It think it's worth doing a bit more research before you finally decide. Use

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

to see train times, details and fares. One-way fare is 157 euro and I'm not sure you'll pay less than this if you fly with bags. Trenitalia also sometimes has cheap advance online fares although you won't see them until you start the booking process.

• phingy's Profile Photo

by phingy Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 4:59 AM

I was initially thinking of flying Rome-Basel then take a 1.5 hour train to Zurich. Hmm I read about the budget airline baggage allowances and I'm hoping to keep the weight at 12kg or so (if I can!) in one hand luggage. I might be able to get the flight at 60 euro (to add all the miscellaneous too).

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM

My wife and I flew EasyJet on 3 separate flights last year. Paris to Rome, Milan to Barcelona and Barcelona to London.

We each had one piece of luggage that we checked in and I had prepaid for. The combined weight was well under their limits (mine was way under and my wife's was at about the limit). The flight from Milan to Barcelona left early as the boarding process through the airlines front and back door was quick and nobody is trying to force extra carry on's every where. You get one carry on for free and it must fit under the seat or in the overhead.

You will pay for any snacks or drinks on the plane, but really most people can survive an hour or two without refreshments. I loved the fact that the seats did not recline. I dislike when the passengers in front of me think they have the right to invade my space without even asking.

• Neilzonwheelz's Profile Photo

by Neilzonwheelz Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Check www.flycheapo.com for numerous budget airline options.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I much prefer to use, www.skyscanner.net which gives all carriers (mainstream and budget, direct or indirect) for your routes and dates, with fares. Book on the airline's own website.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines