Rome Travel Answers

change location

Gregorian chant in Rome or Florence

by MariaKat Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I will be traveling to Rome and Florence with my mother in April. My mother is very fond of Gregorian chant, and I would like to take her to listen to some during out trip. I tried to look for places & times online but I couldn't find anything useful. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find out where and when we could go to hear some Gregorian chant? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • The_Capricorn's Profile Photo

Re: Gregorian chant in Rome or Florence

by The_Capricorn Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hey,
    I bought mine from Amarzon: amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • The_Capricorn's Profile Photo

by The_Capricorn Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Sorry, I missed that you want to listen Gregorian chants live in Rome of Florence.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I haven't found any in Rome (which is not to say that it does not exist).

In Florence, go to the ancient and lovely church of San Minato al Monte around 4.30pm. You will hear the monks chanting plainsong around the tomb of the saint, as they have done on the same spot for more than 1000 years. It's a wonderful experience.

"Visit S. Miniato around 17.30..........." - Florence Off The Beaten Path Tip by leics

The easiest way to find the church is to get bus 12 or 13 from the bus station at Santa Maria Novella station and get off at Piazzale Michaelangelo, a well-known viewpoint (with a statue of David) which will give you beautiful views over the city. Bus times and route information in English here;

ataf.net/en/timetables-and-r...

Click the route number to see times and a route map.

The pink-and-white stone San Miniato is on the hill behind P Michaelangelo, accessed via a series of steps (not too many) and a path (and signed, obviously).

1 member found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The Vatican website notes that choirs can apply to come to St. Peter's Basilica and sing for Mass. The website goes on to note:
    " Dal Lunedì al Venerdì l’Ordinario della Messa è in canto gregoriano ( dal Liber Usualis:
    - Kyrie – missa XVI in feriis per annum;
    - Sanctus e Agnus Dei – missa XVIII ).
    Il Coro canta nella propria lingua o in latino nei seguenti momenti della Santa Messa:
    - Canto d’Ingresso
    - Offertorio (un canto della durata massima di 2 minuti)
    - 2 Canti di Comunione
    - Canto finale"
    {From Monday through Friday, the Ordinary of the Mass is in gregorian chant (from the Common Book).
    - The Kyrie is in Mass 16
    - The Sanctus and Agnus Dei are in Mass 17.
    The (visiting) choir sings in its own language or in Latin at the following moments of the Holy mass:
    - the entrance hymn
    - the Offertory
    - 2 communion songs
    - the closing hymn} (vatican.va/various/basiliche... - Italian)

On another page (vatican.va/various/basiliche... - Italian), it states that daily Mass at 5 p.m. is on Latin with song, which I assume is the Mass being referred to, since all the other Masses during the say are in Italian with a homily but without music. Note that the 5 p.m. Mass is said at the altar on the back wall of the Basilica under the huge bronze chair of St. Peter (called "the altar of the chair" in English).

On Sunday, the 10:30 a.m. Mass is in Latin with "canto" (song). It also has a homily which is probably in Italian. Note that this Mass is also at the altar on the back wall under the huge bronze chair of St. Peter.

OK, these are Masses, not performances, but maybe that's what you want...

Bill

• Re: Gregorian chant in Rome or Florence

by arttboy Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don't know about Rome, but there is a great experience ahead for you in Florence. Go the San Minato al Monte before 5:00 pm. Go into the crypt under the main altar. The Benedictines do a great job.  Don't miss cemetery behind the church.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

There is a Gregorian Mass at Notre Dame de Paris Sunday at 10 AM. That's the one we usually attend and if you get a Sunday with the Boy Choir, it is sublime. It if is the adult choir, it's very nice but the boys are spectacular.

notredamedeparis.fr/spip.php...

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

They used to give a free organ recital with visiting organists at Notre Dame every Sunday afternoon at 4:30. This stopped for 10 months so they could renovate the organ. It seems now to have been moved to Saturday at 8 PM if you are at all interested in organ recitals.

There is also an organ recital at St. Eustache at 5:30 on Sunday preceeding the 6 PM Mass. You don't need to stay for the service when you attend the recital. The organ is in the back so you can just slip out the door.

• Re: Gregorian chant in Rome or Florence

by MariaKat Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Thank you all for your very helpful answers! San Minato al Monte sounds good. We will definitely check that out! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines