Rome Travel Answers

change location

Question title

by LilyLumley Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

My family and I will be flying into Fiumicino Airport in July and will be hiring a car. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive car hire company? All the big ones like Avis and Hertz seem to charge a fortune! Prefer to use one based at the airport if possible. Also if anyone has had any really bad experiences with any of the car rental companies I'd be interested to know. Many thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Question title

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

At this link - adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma... - you will find all the car rental companies at Fiumicino airport. I have rented only with Avis at Fiumicino, and, yes, it is expensive. That is for several reasons: (1) it's a big multinational, (2) it's at the airport (captive audience), and (3) all car rental tends to be expensive in Italy, especially after you add in the insurances (which you really ought to take).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the European operators would be cheaper, but in London many years ago, I got burned by Europcar when they refused to recognize the insurance that my travel agent had prepaid for me...but other VTers have reported using European operators without a problem...

May I ask how you are going to use the car? Will you be staying in Rome a few days, or driving directly from the airport to somewhere else?

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • by LilyLumley Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. We are staying in Rome for 3 nights (we'll use public transport to get around there) then driving to Abruzzo where we've rented a villa for a week.

We didn't fancy picking up a car in Rome city centre and driving out of it hence why we have decided to head back to the airport to collect a car plus we'll be dropping it off there anyway. We've been told it's easier access onto the A24 straight from the airport rather than the city centre :-)

• loksch's Profile Photo

by loksch Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM

You always pay a premium when renting AT the airport....offsite is usually less. We have had great success with Auto Europe. Give them a try and see what the results look like.
    Take Care

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Good decision to use public transportation in Rome. We've used Autoeurope and had no problems. http://www.autoeurope.com/

Yes, rentals can be expensive so check as many companies as possible. If you can drive a stick, it's cheaper. We get an automatic but you need to book ahead to do that because they are not always available. It's usually cheaper to book ahead anyway.

I'd check all the standard rental agencies in addition to the two you mentioned. Budget, Nationwide, Enterprise, Dollar . . . any you can think of and take the best rate. If you go to the airport web site, they should list all the rental companies. Or you can search Rome on Google Maps and zoom in on the airport. You'll see rental companies and you can click on them. Easy way to find them.

Enjoy Italy.

1 member found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM

LilyLumley wrote: Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. We are staying in Rome for 3 nights (we'll use public transport to get around there) then driving to Abruzzo where we've rented a villa for a week.

We didn't fancy picking up a car in Rome city centre and driving out of it hence why we have decided to head back to the airport to collect a car plus we'll be dropping it off there anyway. We've been told it's easier access onto the A24 straight from the airport rather than the city centre :-)

Well, it could have been me who told you that ;-). OK, you;re heading out the A24 east of town, and yes, from either airport, you take the ringroad around to the east, pick up the A24 and you're off. Very easy. But, as you noticed, the only downside is getting back out to the airport and then paying the probably higher rates there.

So if you find that rental rates are a lot nicer at Termini (the main train station) with no penalty for drop off at the airport (may not be), if you are intrepid, you can drive from the Termini area to the start of the start of the A24 in Rome. For example, the Avis office is outside the south (west) side of Termini, down a street called "Via Giovanni Giolitti". When you pick up the car here (follow this on a map), turn to the right (probably) to head away from the Piazza dei Cinquecento (the front of the station). Keep going until you hit a large piazza with city walls where you can't go stright any more. This is Piazza di Porta Maggiore. You'd want to go left, but I don't think you can because it looks like a giant traffic circle, so go right and circle around. When you've gone nearly 360 degrees, you'll have a chance to turn right under the elevated train tracks...so do so. This is Viale dello Scalo (di San Lorenzo).  Take this a short distance and an elevated roadway will come overhead. This is the Circonvallazione Tiburtina. Continue a short distance then exit right to get on the Circonvallazione Tiburtina (which curves to the right here anyway). Get on it, and then on the next exit, get off to get on the Strada dei Parchi...this becomes the A24 in a fairly short distance.

Now suppose you miss this...if you stayed on the Circonvallazione Tiburtina, you would shaortyl have the chance to exit on to Via Tiburtina. Do so, and got to the tight until you hit the A90 (the ringroad), when you would head south (to the right) to the A24. On the other hand, you might find yourself on the Via Prenestina or Via Casilina. Not to worry - in the case of Via Prenestina, take a right of of the office to head east on Via Prenestina, then at the next major intersection (via della Serenissima), take a left, then go a short distance and take a right on to A24. In the case of Via Casinila, just follow the road all the way out to the ringroad, but this time, take a left (to the north/east) to get to the A24.  You see that on a map?

Or if you want to reduce driving in Rome, take a taxi to the Avis Via Prenestina office (Via Prenestina 270B), pick up the car, then just drive out to the ringroad, cutting off all that stuff near the train station.

Or maybe easier, take a taxi out to the Avis Via Tiburtina office, which is just off Via Tiburtina just outside the ringroad...meaning that all you have to do is leave the lot, go a short distance to the ringroad, then head south (to the left) to the A24 (the next exit). Hmpf, now that I think about it, the Via Prenestina office will be a much shorter taxi trip, and is almost as easy in terms of getting on the A24...

Anyway, just some options, depending on how expensive the penalty is for picking up at an airport...

Bill

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo

by mariaschmidt Online Now May 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I just would like to warn you that whatever rent company you chose make sure they include a permission to access center Rome with the rented car. We did not know about that and we got a ticket a year later with a fine of 110 EUR that we had to pay for driving in non access zone. And the only time we used a car in Rome was when we got it out of the rental company in Termini station on our way out of Rome .........so be careful about that

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines