Re: Bus Tours

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Google is your friend! http://www.tinyurl.com/dx2lzhw

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Hi Bryan - We need a little more information to help us answer your question.

Are you looking for bus tours TO Rome, and from where?

Are you looking for bus tours FROM Rome, and any idea of some places you'd like them to take you?

Are you looking at day trips or journeys longer than that?

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

If you're looking for bus tours within Rome, there are a lot that leave from Termini Station. You can book them right there. You can also take the 110 bus run by the city of Rome that acts as a hop-on hop-off tour bus. There is the (again run by the city) Archeobus that takes you to various archeological sites in and near the city. There will also be people there from Grey Lines Tours who will be happy to guide you to their own tour buses a couple blocks away.

Here is some information in English. Scroll down for the 110 bus and Archeobus information. rome.info/transportation/tic...

If you are looking for different bus information, please tell us specifically what you need to know and we'll try to help you.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I wonder if you mean the hop-on hop-off bus tours of the city? The different companies are detailed and listed here:

rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rom...

and you will be able to find prices and extra info about each one simply by googling its name,

They all start from/stop at or end near Termini railway station but serve slightly varying routes.

Whether you consider them value for money is entirely down to your own preferences. You can get a 3-day transport ticket which covers all buses, trams and Metro in Rome for just 16.50 euro, a one-day ticket for just 6. Central historical Rome is compact and very walkable indeed...in fact walking is by far the best way to explore the city.

• EuropeRider's Profile Photo

by EuropeRider Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The 110 bus is most useful :-) We also took another one from Termini Rail Station and it was good, but a little 'tricky' in our view. We bought a ticket from a vendor outside the station, who then rushed us all the way over the square to catch a bus at the other end. Turned out okay, but I prefer the city buses :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If you mean the hop on/off bus tour, then that is good. We did it, and it took us to all the important sights in Rome. We caught the Bus by the Vatican but you can catch it anywhere. There is more than the one company in Rome.
    If there are strikes and demonstrations on in Rome, like when we were there, the Hop on/off bus nobody else other than walkers could get to some of the important sights, something that happens quite often and you probably won't know about until your there.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Yes its good value............from memory I think it was about 19euros.
    We hopped on somewhere near the Vatican.

hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/hop-o...

• Re: Bus Tours

by arttboy Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

There are 3 commercial tourist bus routes in Rome now. I have only taken the open top general route, taking you to Ancient, Early Christian, Baroque, and 19th. century sites. It is a "must" do when you first arrive. It helps to make a list of things you want to see before heading out to Rome. When the bus stops at or near one of your sites, get off, then pick up the bus when it stops nearest to you again. The other two routes are more specific: one aimed at Ancient sites, the other at Christian sites.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

We did the hop on/hop off. It's a great way to get a feel for a new city and choose where you'd like to revisit/spend some more time. The one we did was this one - city-sightseeing.com/tours/i....

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo

by Paolomusc Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

From a stop near to the Termini and its worth having one for a day and doing the full tour to see where you feel you would like to get off, then going back on it to those spots.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

There are about a half dozen tour bus companies in Rome but many people use Viator they are the biggest tour company in Europe and they probably have at least 30 different tours. You don't have to book online but you should at least spend some time on there site to see what kind of tours they have to offer. The more information you have on tours the better you will be able to figure out what you want to do.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think Viator justs acts as an agency for selected local tour operators rather than running its own tours? Certainly all the tours I've seen on offer on its site (for wherever) are the same as those on offer directly from local tour companies, albeit often at a slightly higher price. The photo on the Rome hop-on bus that Viator offer is the Citysightseeing hop on bus:

city-sightseeing.com/tours/i...

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

What Leics is saying may be true I don't know but if it is isn't that pretty much the same for just about everything on the internet. I could find the same hotels that are on booking dot com and Venere which don't own any hotels either but it would take me a month. Places like these give you the convenience of being able to see very many tours available in any city in Italy in your own home and months in advance. For that convenience it would be worth it for me to spend a few dollars more.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I think what what Leics meant was that Viator isn't itself a tour operator: it's essentially a ticketing site for a multitude of local tour operations.

Yes, it's a good site for researching what's available; it's just that sometimes it can be important to know who the tour operator really is? For instance, it might be confusing for a member who booked a bus tour to be looking for a Viator bus at his/her pickup point.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I do think it is very important to know that a ticketing agency is just a ticketing agency (as with e.g. Raileurope).

It's also worth noting that Viator does not necessarily list all local tour operators, only those with which it has (presumably) sorted out deals. So it's not quite the same as using e.g. a hotel booking agency like booking.com or venere.com both of which have very extensive listings covering almost all local hotels.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines