Rome Travel Answers

change location

Food stores in Rome

by Touristeverywhere Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I lived in the center of Rome in February 2013. There is No ONE small store or supermarket anywhere.
Where are food stores in Rome?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Food stores in Rome

by leics Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM

They do exist, of course, but whether you spotted them depends on where you were living and where, and how far, you walked. They're not always obvious either: if you were looking for large plate-glass frontages and very obvious displays it would be easy to miss them. Even the small supermarkets often have only a small entrance area: they expand as you go inside. There's a reasonably-sized supermarket , for instance, in the side-streets near the Pantheon...but it only has a very small window and entrance.

Rome has hundreds of thousands of residents, as I said. Of course they need food stores as well as markets, and they do exist. But perhaps you stayed in an area which had fewer residents and more hotels and/or offices? Then you'd have had to go a bit further to find food stores.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • joni97's Profile Photo

by joni97 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I shopped for everything I needed (foodwise) at the same store mentioned by 'liecs'. It's on Via Gustiniani (not exactly sure of the name). If you're standing with your back to the Pantheon it's the street off to the left on the most Northerly side of the square. The store is a short way along on the right hand side, it's got everything you need.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM

leics is quite correct that there are hundreds or thousands of food stores in Rome. Look at the Carrefour chain(carrefour.it/supermercati-ce... - they alone have several dozen stores (Express and Mercato) inside the ringroad.

Note that I said "inside the ringroad". In the city center there are maybe only a dozen, because the majority of Romans live outside the city center in the suburbs, so, naturally, that's where the stores are.

When I stay in Rome at the apartment complex near the Vatican, there is a Carrefour Express a short walk away...but as leics says, you won't see it unless you walk right in front of it because it is tucked into the ground floor of an apartment building with no huge parking lot out front.

Tell you what, give me the address of where you stayed in Rome, and I'll give you all the grocery stores nearby...

Bill

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There are even grocery stores in Termini:

romatermini.com/en/store/ind...
    (click on supermarkets)

• giuguar's Profile Photo

by giuguar Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM

If you are talking about the historic centre of Rome forget about big stores as you maybe used to find anywherelse in the western world, Tesco, Spar, Auchan etc. it's just a nonsense, don't be "american minded" and try to find a big mall just on the side of the colosseum, come on! you are in Rome! you are in the middle of an old town, you want to look ofen for small supermarkets which may not be evident at all if you don't know where they are located. What street were you living in Touristeverywhere? Hope you enjoied your stay anyway even without finding food markets ;)

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Perhaps the OP is looking along the major streets. The food shops are quite often located in the side streets where the rent is cheaper and the shops attract the locals.

We wanted a supermarket and had a LOT of trouble finding one in the Cavour area. Eventually we spotted a bevy of obviously local ladies all carrying supermarket type bags, so with sign language we pointed at the bags and asked where the supermarket is. As others have said it was tucked away and in this case was in a basement. I think I could have walked past 50 times and not noticed what it was.

• o_henna's Profile Photo

by o_henna Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

• o_henna's Profile Photo

by o_henna Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Under Rome termini railway station, there is a grocery mall. We did all the shopping out there. Hope this helps.

• markschaaf's Profile Photo

by markschaaf Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

here is an easy way to find a store, if you have an address just go into google maps and type in food stores near them put in the address and it will give you the stores that are close. I have used this in the past to find restaurants and I just tested it again by putting in the address to a couple different hotels and I got a store by each so give it a try.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines