Rome Travel Answers

change location
pizzuti's Profile Photo

wheelchair travel

by pizzuti Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

hey there - i'm travelling with my granddaughter to rome in october and was wondering about tips for wheelchair travel here ? she has some mobility. thanks for any tips !

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: wheelchair travel

by leics Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

You'll find some excellent accessibility advice, information and photos here:

sagetraveling.com/Rome-Disab...

and here:

sagetraveling.com/Rome-Wheel...

It won't be straightforward: Rome's pavements are often narrow, crowded and uneven, sometimes cobbled....access to and getting around the ancient sites is not easy...but it is by no means impossible to see large parts of the city. It just requires a bit of extra muscle at times, a willingness to adapt plans and a bit of forward planning where possible. For example, you can easily see the outside of the Colosseum and get reasonable views of the ancient forum from the wide, 'modern' pavements/sidewalks in that area.

Central historical Rome is (as well as being absolutely wonderful) compact and very walkable: I'm certain you and your daughter will be able to explore large parts of it without too much hassle.

4 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: wheelchair travel

by goodfish Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Just one additional note here as Leics has provided good information: one of the more challenging aspects of Rome is that many of the restrooms in restaurants are located in the basements and have no lifts. Others have doorways too small to accommodate a chair (although it sounds as if she can walk a little?)

I would just be mindful of that and be sure to have her use the facilities at the hotel before going out for the day, and making use of those at larger museums and other attractions where accessibility is not as challenging.

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines