Rome Travel Answers

change location

Accomodation streets. Help!

by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I narrowed the apt search and I'm between two nice ones in Via Ludovisi and Via Mario del Fiori. I've seen the map they are close to Spanish steps but not close to metro lines? Not sure. Do you think I should go for it? There are no reviews for them because they are new. The first is 438 euros for 3 nights and a 200 deposit at check in to be returned when you check out (??? is this common? It didn't happen in Barcelona when we rented an apt from the same company) For the other one they didn't ask for a deposit at check in and it's 418 euros. Thanks a lot

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • dino335's Profile Photo

Re: Accomodation streets. Help!

by dino335 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM

There's a metro stop at the top of the Spanish steps -- red line. Spagna is the name of stop.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Can't answer your question about the deposit - although we've had to do that a time or two. You would be relatively close to the Spagna metro station at either one of these addresses.

Just to note: Rome is a very walkable city and it was very rare that we've ever wanted or needed to take public transit at all: the central circle of attractions most people go to see is not as large as you may think. You're going to see much of more of the architecture and "street culture" on foot than from the metro - which covers a somewhat limited area anyway - so don't worry much about being more than a few steps away from a station.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

goodfish wrote:

Can't answer your question about the deposit - although we've had to do that a time or two. You would be relatively close to the Spagna metro station at either one of these addresses.

Just to note: Rome is a very walkable city and it was very rare that we've ever wanted or needed to take public transit at all: the central circle of attractions most people go to see is not as large as you may think. You're going to see much of more of the architecture and "street culture" on foot than from the metro - which covers a somewhat limited area anyway - so don't worry much about being more than a few steps away from a station.

Rome is a walkable city, but how far can your shoes go on?  I walked and walked until my soles burn holes as my friend said, the steps are right around the corner.  Yea, we took a route that goes to the top of the steps and there was the train station?  We walked down the step, got water from the fountain spigot, took pictures and back up the steps to catch the train to Vatican City.  I remember there was a name brand hotel on top of the Spanish Steps over looking the Piazza as said I wish my hotel was here.

cheers tommy x

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Agree with Goodfish: the nearness of a Metro station is only really relevant for arrival and departure. Central historical Rome is compact and eminently walkable, and the buses (and some trams) are also excellent.

You are paying a quite lot for a 3-night stay: there are plenty of hotels which would be a cheaper option. I just thought I'd throw that in, as sometimes people assume that apartments are always cheaper than hotels. Deposits are not unheard of but 200 euro is a goodly chunk of cash to hand over. I'm not sure if I'd be so keen to do that, to be honest, especially for somewhere which has not yet been reviewed.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The Via Mario del Fiori address (which is actually Via Mario de' Fiori)  is the street that runs parallel to Via Babuino, one block off of it and the Piazza di Spagna. As such, this place will be crawling with tourists day and night. This street is part of the pedestrian-only area between the Via del Corso and the Babuino/Piazza di Spagna...that is, you will see cars occasionally, but for the most part, pedestrians rule...(as an aside, 2 years ago, I saw an SUV try to drive down one of these streets, which had restuarant tables in the street on both sides...hahaha...the SUV finally had to admit defeat and back out ;-) )...but I do mean that there will be a lot of foot traffic and possible noise. Also very high end shopping...maybe you can't afford it, but Italians do high quality work...

The other address, Via Ludovisi, is in the Via Veneto area on the other side. This is the home to a lot of embassys; indeed, I think the US Embassy is at the corner of Via Ludovisi and Via Vittorio Veneto. As a result of the police presence (yes, you will see police with submachine guns hanging around), it tends to be "quieter" (as quiet as Rome gets) than other parts of Rome. The Veneto area was also know for "La Dolce Vita" (well, 50 years ago), where the very well-heeled would go for a long evening out of drinking, eating, partying, and "seeing and being seen".

Which should you choose? Hard to say, as they are pretty close to each other...but the Ludovisi location is likely to be quieter, if that is important to you...

Bill

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I suppose it depends who you book with. Some are privately advertised. I am also looking for an apartment in Paris (through booking.com), and there are quite a few that do not ask for a deposit. But I have seen a few that ask for a deposit.

• Re: Accomodation streets. Help!

by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Many thanks guys!
    I haven't booked yet. I thought they were pricey too! I'll do a careful search and decide in the weekend! xx

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines