Rome Travel Answers

change location

Cost of coffee in central Rome

by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM

How much would a coffee (latte) or hot chocolate cost in central Rome?

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • von.otter's Profile Photo

Re: Cost of coffee in central Rome

by von.otter Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

The best place for a cup of coffee, no matter the price, is Sant’Eustachio (http://www.santeustachioilcaffe.it/). Located near to the Pantheon, this coffee shop is worth the price of a cup of coffee. Do like the natives: drink your java at the bar, standing up. It will cost more for a seat.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

We haven't had chocolate but lattes/coffee are only a euro or two if consumed - as von otter recommended - standing up. Double that price (or more) if choosing a have it at a table. Still, coffee is one of the joys of Italy and we took time out at least once, if not twice, a day for a cappuccino/coffee and a rest of our tourist-tired feet: absolutely worth the price.

Prices can be all over the place, though. Order one at or near a hot tourist location and it very likely will cost more than one on a street where mobs of visitors are less likely to be found.

Another bonus of a daily (or more) coffee break? You may use the restrooms at the cafe/restaurant where it's purchased. As many establishments had signs indicating that use of their facilities were for patrons only - and public facilities can be few and far between - those lovely cups of joe were welcome in more ways than one! :O)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Depending on where you drink it, from a few dollars, to a few dollar more. on average 3 usd.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I found a couple of "listino prezzi" (price list) - here's one:

CAFFETTERIA PREZZI == Cafe Prices Caffè espresso € 0,75 Caffè decaffeinato e caffè orzo € 0,90 == "orzo" is roasted barley, the pasta shape "orzo" was named for this Cappuccino € 0,95 Caffè – latte € 1,20 == coffee with milk Caffè freddo € 0,95 == iced coffee Cioccolato in tazza € 1,50 ==hot chocolate Tè e infusi € 1,20 == hot tea and other infusions (whatever that might be...fake teas?) Latte in bicchiere € 0,75 ==milk in a glass Tè freddo € 1,20 == iced tea (wow! I'd never seen this in Italy...oh, maybe it's hot tea poured over ice)

I saw another list, and the prices were pretty consistent, about 5 to 10 euro cents higher...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

mccalpin wrote:

I found a couple of "listino prezzi" (price list) - here's one:

CAFFETTERIA PREZZI == Cafe Prices Caffè espresso € 0,75 Caffè decaffeinato e caffè orzo € 0,90 == "orzo" is roasted barley, the pasta shape "orzo" was named for this Cappuccino € 0,95 Caffè – latte € 1,20 == coffee with milk Caffè freddo € 0,95 == iced coffee Cioccolato in tazza € 1,50 ==hot chocolate Tè e infusi € 1,20 == hot tea and other infusions (whatever that might be...fake teas?) Latte in bicchiere € 0,75 ==milk in a glass Tè freddo € 1,20 == iced tea (wow! I'd never seen this in Italy...oh, maybe it's hot tea poured over ice)

I saw another list, and the prices were pretty consistent, about 5 to 10 euro cents higher...

Bill

Arrgh! I hate thet the formatting disappears sometimes...how about this?

CAFFETTERIA PREZZI == Cafe Prices

Caffè espresso € 0,75

Caffè decaffeinato e caffè orzo € 0,90 == "orzo" is roasted barley, the pasta shape "orzo" was named for this

Cappuccino € 0,95

Caffè – latte € 1,20 == coffee with milk

Caffè freddo € 0,95 == iced coffee

Cioccolato in tazza € 1,50 ==hot chocolate

Tè e infusi € 1,20 == hot tea and other infusions (whatever that might be...fake teas?)

Latte in bicchiere € 0,75 ==milk in a glass

Tè freddo € 1,20 == iced tea (wow! I'd never seen this in Italy...oh, maybe it's hot tea poured over ice)

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Note, although it wasn't marked, these are surely the prices "al banco" (at the bar), not "alla tavola" (at the table, i.e. seated)...

Bill

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM

mccalpin wrote:

Note, although it wasn't marked, these are surely the prices "al banco" (at the bar), not "alla tavola" (at the table, i.e. seated)...

Bill

I'll agree, Bill: those sound about right for what we paid for "al banco". Table prices were higher. 

• Ina08's Profile Photo

by Ina08 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

" Tè e infusi € 1,20 == hot tea and other infusions (whatever that might be...fake teas?)"

Infusi are herbal teas, camomile, roiboos and such as opposed to black tea (tè). And iced tea has become quite fashionable in summer.

2 members found this helpful

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Feels like I got ripped off again in Rome, but I think the answer should be," whatever you are willing to give to boost the Italian economy" prices are all so different, so ask before you sit or stand for a cup of joe. Funny I was in Dubai and had a cup of coffee, nothing fancy and the price listed was four bucks after convertion. I always look around and say to myself if all these other people can enjoy their coffee at four bucks, I should have one too. Same thing happen in New Orleans....people pressure....everyone enjoying their coffee with some beneign, 8 usd, was it worth it....no, but money is made to be spent if you have it.

cheers tommy x

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Ina08 wrote:

" Tè e infusi € 1,20 == hot tea and other infusions (whatever that might be...fake teas?)"

Infusi are herbal teas, camomile, roiboos and such as opposed to black tea (tè). And iced tea has become quite fashionable in summer.

Oh no! Iced tea in Italy??? What's next? Fritos and chicken pot pies and Dr. Pepper???

hahaha!! No, I like going to Italy because it's NOT like the US...however, one thing may be for sure...it may be a long time before Italians drink ice tea the way we do in Texas...we drink it all year round, no matter how cold it is outside ;-)

P.S. Iced tea is normally served sweet in the southeast (the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabmam, etc.) and not sweet in Texas and points west. When we are served sweet tea by accident, we gag, because people in the southeast make it way too sweet...

Bill

• by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I appreciate the info! I come from a country with coffee culture so that's good to know! Still curious though how much it costs in a central area like Pantheon!

• Re: Cost of coffee in central Rome

by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Sorry, I only read the first answer! Still trying to figure out the site's new way of posting the replies! Now I read ALL of them! VERY useful info! Many thanks guys! xx :)

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Sunray-310 wrote:

I appreciate the info! I come from a country with coffee culture so that's good to know! Still curious though how much it costs in a central area like Pantheon!

Well, since you mentioned the Pantheon, as someone noted, don't be surprised if the prices are higher in high-trafficked tourist areas. Some places cater more to the tourist trade, and some place also are much classier than others (you'll see what I mean when you get there). A "bar" might be just a somewhat dim hole-in-the-wall neighborhood coffee shop, or it might have very attractive glass-and-metal designed rooms with attractive lighting - yep, these will cost more.

What we are thinking of normally are fairly small places - often much deeper than wide, with a long counter on one side (the "banco" or counter where you drink whatever standing up), a few tables inside and/or out (the "tavola" where you sit), and a "cassa" (the cashier). Yes, the tavola prices are generally twice the banco prices, but as Kate (I think) noted above, you are treated to the world's best floor show: watching life go by on an Italian street or piazza. Oh, and they don't try to turn tables either...Italian waiters are paid salaries so tips are much less critical to them, so you can take your sweet time and nurse your drink. When Italians drink at the bar, they're really not doing it to be cheap, they're doing it because they want to get in, have their shot of caffeine (and brandy, if an "espresso corretto" ;-) ), and get on to work..yeah, THAT'S a pick-me-up in the morning, caffeine and brandy ;-)...

Bill

• Re: Cost of coffee in central Rome

by Sunray-310 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

mccalpin wrote:

Yes, the tavola prices are generally twice the banco prices, but as Kate (I think) noted above, you are treated to the world's best floor show: watching life go by on an Italian street or piazza. Oh, and they don't try to turn tables either...Italian waiters are paid salaries so tips are much less critical to them, so you can take your sweet time and nurse your drink. When Italians drink at the bar, they're really not doing it to be cheap, they're doing it because they want to get in, have their shot of caffeine (and brandy, if an "espresso corretto" ;-) ), and get on to work..yeah, THAT'S a pick-me-up in the morning, caffeine and brandy ;-)...

Bill

That's interesting! I love watching people go by in a piazza while having my 'shot of caffeine'! We mediterraneans are all the same! Have you ever seen Greeks sipping frappe for hours and hours at a cafe any time of day? ;)  

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Note that latte means milk and if you order a "latte" you will not receive a coffee with milk but just pure milk.

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Speaking of misunderstandings, my parents discovered that if you order a martini on an Alitalia flight, you get a glass of white vermouth (Martini & Rossi, of course!)...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines