Rome Travel Answers

change location

Sistine Chapel

by tds122242 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Is there a way to see the Sistine Chapel without seeing and paying to see the Vatican Museums?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Sistine Chapel

by leics Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I'm afraid not, no.

The only way to access the Sistine Chapel is via the Vatican Museums, either individually or as part of a tour group.

You can, however, avoid queueing up for tickets if you buy them in advance online. Official site:

biglietteriamusei.vatican.va...

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM

In short... no.

1 member found this helpful

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Sorry, you must pay the museums' entrance fee to access the Sistine. You may, however, walk directly through the museums to the chapel without choosing to look at anything, if you wish. It's a long walk so you may as well enjoy the displays along the way?

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

For eur 9.90 you can get a DVD and having a seat in the first row

more infos here: museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/...

a preview museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/...

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM

It's almost impossible to zip through the Vatican Museum because it is so crowded. The chapel is at the far end and is even more crowded. The only reason you can see the ceiling is because people can't stand on a ceiling. Buy your tickets ahead of time, expect a slow walk through the museum, realize no photos are allowed in the Sistine Chapel and expect a mob scene in the chapel. Binoculars are useful if you want to see any detail and you will be bumped and jostled while viewing. A dream of mine is a private viewing of the Sistine Chapel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

While I won't be visiting it for two months, unless you want to stand in long lines it would be a good investment to pay the four reservation fee for a specific time in advance to see the Sistine Chapel as part of the Vatican Museums.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM

There really are no ways (that I know if) of reserving time for the Sistine ONLY. However, you can reserve a time slot for entry to the museums (including the Sistine) via the website Leics has provided.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

to the people who cannot go there or other who wants to see again

here there are quite a few virtual visits

mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_...

also Sistene Chapel

2 members found this helpful

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Beausoleil wrote:

.... The only reason you can see the ceiling is because people can't stand on a ceiling...

heh heh they would if they could. Seriously, I have been jostled and knocked about by people at the opening of the doors racing from the Museums' entrance to the Sistine Chapel at the exit. And the crowd when you get there is not in the most religious and awe-inspired frame of mind...sadly...on the other hand, some of the galleries may be completely empty...I used to spend time in one of the halls with the sarcophaghi, reading the inscriptions about how people no older than myself (I was 23 at the time) lived, died, and were mourned by their loved ones. This had much more of an impact on me than the Chapel...

heh heh cgf's suggestions to do the virtual tour of the chapel are a bit tongue in cheek, but if you're really interested in the art of the ceiling, it will be a better way to see it...in the chapel itself, the ceiling is upwards of 68 feet over your head, and opera glasses would not be amiss...

Bill 

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The short answer is no.

It is baffling why someone who wants to see the Sistine Chapel does not want to see the balance of the Vatican Museums. Take time to see one of the world's greatest collection of art and one of the world's oldest museums. This is one of the most satisfying museum-going experiences.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Just to reiterate von.otter's point, take a look at mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-I...

They are called the "Musei Vaticani" (Vatican Museum'S') for a reason - because there are a number of museums and collections here, all accessed by one ticket.

Even though the ticket is relatively expensive (because the Museums are not subsidized by either the Republic of Italy nor the Holy See), it is at once perhaps the most priceless collection of art from Western Civilization and the Mediterranean in the world.

Bill

OK, off the soapbox now

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Don't go now. They're electing a new Pope and the Conclave is held in the Sistine Chapel. Have you thought of their programme, 'Vatican Under the Stars'? Check their official website for the dates.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines