Rome Travel Answers

change location
doraem66's Profile Photo

First time in Rome and need advise where to stay

by doraem66 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

2 ladies prefer just slight off street but not too far from central to avoid the noise and crowd. Understand need to walk alot in Rome, so staying near sights is it a good idea? Any nice hotel/ B&B to recommend? Budget prefer around 80-100eur, is it possible?

Quote & Answer
22 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: First time in Rome and need advise where to stay

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It's possible, but where? So many hotels to choose. Area would you like to be?

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We have several experienced (and female) VT members who will gladly recommend hotels that they have used...I wanted to address your other questions...

The center of Rome is about 3.5 kilometers across - you could walk it in an hour if you weren't constantly stopping for this or that masterpiece of art or ruin or GELATO (ice cream) ;-).

The transit system in Rome is excellent and ubiquitous, using buses, trams, and the two lines of the Metro (I think the third line opens this year?). Taxis are also plentiful and not expensive by European standards, thus, if you find yourself all the way across town late at night and don't want to take the Metro home, a taxi won't break your budget.

There is a one-day, three-day, and one-week pass that covers all the buses, trams, and the Metro in Rome (and the occasional urban train, which you won't likely use). These are fairly inexpensive, although I think you'll find that you won't be using buses that much anyway, because anything you want to go to, probably has 3 other things to see along the way as you walk.

Still, we can give you the info if you think it will be of interest.

In any case, walking through Rome is a pleasure...but since there are plenty of cobblestones, comfortable shoes are a requirement...

Bill

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yes, it is possible though it will limit your choice to some extent.

Rome was my very first solo middle-aged female foray abroad. I have been back twice since then and have always stayed in the Termini area. It is uber-convenient for transport to/from the airport and for public transport around the city, has numerous hotels & hostels and is about 25 mins walk from the Colosseum.

There are lots of places to eat which are reaosnably-priced and I've found it to be perfectly safe. Like any city, you have to take normal city common sense precautions..and wandering around alone in the early hours of them morning anywhere is not a good idea....but Termini is no less safe than any similar area in any city, anywhere (and considerably safer than many).

On my past two visits I'e stayed at the small, excellent Domus Praetoria:

http://www.domushotel.com/

My review here:

"A real find" - Hotel Domus Praetoria Tip by leics

but you may find it outside your budget, depending on your dates. If so, and anywa, I suggest you look at the excellent and reliable www.booking.com and www.venere.com both of which are used by many VT-ers and both of which list all, or almost all, hotels in Rome. Booking.com reviews are especially reliable, as they can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay (the site emails you).

But, to be honest, as long as you stay within the historical centre you'll be able to walk (or use public transport) and see everything you want to see. Rome's historical centre, like the historical centres in all European settlements, is compact and.designed for walking.

• leics's Profile Photo

Yes, it is possible though it will limit your choice to some extent.

Rome was my very first solo middle-aged female foray abroad. I have been back twice since then and have always stayed in the Termini area. It is uber-convenient for transport to/from the airport and for public transport around the city, has numerous hotels & hostels and is about 25 mins walk from the Colosseum.

There are lots of places to eat which are reaosnably-priced and I've found it to be perfectly safe. Like any city, you have to take normal city common sense precautions..and wandering around alone in the early hours of them morning anywhere is not a good idea....but Termini is no less safe than any similar area in any city, anywhere (and considerably safer than many).

On my past two visits I'e stayed at the small, excellent Domus Praetoria:

http://www.domushotel.com/

My review here:

"A real find" - Hotel Domus Praetoria Tip by leics

but you may find it outside your budget, depending on your dates. If so, and anywa, I suggest you look at the excellent and reliable www.booking.com and www.venere.com both of which are used by many VT-ers and both of which list all, or almost all, hotels in Rome. Booking.com reviews are especially reliable, as they can only be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay (the site emails you).

But, to be honest, as long as you stay within the historical centre you'll be able to walk (or use public transport) and see everything you want to see. Rome's historical centre, like the historical centres in all European settlements, is compact and.designed for walking.

• leics's Profile Photo

My apologies for the double posting. Not my fault, as far as I am aware...

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo

by Paolomusc Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Try the 'YES' hotel on www.booking.com as its close to the Termini in the centre and all the sights are walking distance (if you like walking that is) Its not too expensive but extremely good quality and offers a very full breakfast choice. I was there back in 2012 and am booked again for 2013.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Lecis, if you posted twice, you can use the edit button to clear the extra post. And great  answer Bill.....in Rome, do what the Romans do..walk

cheers tommy x

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

In London (and Amsterdam, and Muncih, and all European cities) the locals walk too. Using your car in European cities is not the norm as it may be elsewhere: it's far too much hassle.

Yes, I knew about the edit /delete function. I just forgot to use it. And as soon as Paolo answered it became unusable anyway.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Because this is your first time in Rome, I am suggesting that you stop at Albergo del Senato (www.albergodelsenato.it). It is a wonderful hotel, located on a lively square, with a very famous neighbor, the Pantheon.

The staff here is very nice. Be certain to have an aperitivo at the rooftop bar, where the views of the Piazza della Rontonda, the dome of the Pantheon and the Eternal City are memorable.

Be certain to ask for a room facing the square. Fear not: the well-insulated windows keep out the noise. We had not trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. The piazza’s activity quiets down after 23:00. The hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance of all major attractions.

Another fine hotel, near to Albergo del Sentato, is Hotel Nazionale (www.hotelnazionale.it). Also located on a piazza, this hotel’s higher, rear-facing rooms have views of the dome of the Basilica of St. Peter.

The square that it faces, Piazza di Monte Citorio, is bordered by the palace that houses the national Chamber of Deputies. There is always a police presence, making the area quite safe. As is all of Rome, really.

At each hotel the breakfast is included in the room price. The staff at each is quite professional, while at the Hotel Nazionale they are a bit distant. It is fine.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hmm, there should be a ten minute rule on that before it is closed. I just corrected grea, to great on the edit while you were posting and got back in order. Guess you have to play with it or be faster on the trigger. LOL type faster cheers tommy x

• von.otter's Profile Photo

by von.otter Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

von.otter wrote:

Because this is your first time in Rome, I am suggesting that you stop at Albergo del Senato (www.albergodelsenato.it). It is a wonderful hotel, located on a lively square, with a very famous neighbor, the Pantheon.

The staff here is very nice. Be certain to have an aperitivo at the rooftop bar, where the views of the Piazza della Rontonda, the dome of the Pantheon and the Eternal City are memorable.

Be certain to ask for a room facing the square. Fear not: the well-insulated windows keep out the noise. We had not trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. The piazza’s activity quiets down after 23:00. The hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance of all major attractions.

Another fine hotel, near to Albergo del Sentato, is Hotel Nazionale (www.hotelnazionale.it). Also located on a piazza, this hotel’s higher, rear-facing rooms have views of the dome of the Basilica of St. Peter.

The square that it faces, Piazza di Monte Citorio, is bordered by the palace that houses the national Chamber of Deputies. There is always a police presence, making the area quite safe. As is all of Rome, really.

At each hotel the breakfast is included in the room price. The staff at each are quite professional, while at the Hotel Nazionale they are a bit distant. It is fine.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Wow, after reading these post, I need to visit Rome again. These travel tips gives me the itch. if I go though, I stay outside and travel in at Hotel Capannelle ,Via Siderno 37, Appio Latino, 00178 Rome, money saved buys a great day pass, but don't know about the walking shoes. Leather wears quickly, and then I bought a new pair of tennis shoes this year from a discount store 15usd, and it wore down in two months of traveling in the Far East this past year. I think i drank too much coffee.

cheers tommy x

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

As leics has pointed out, your budget may be a "problem". I confess to not having experience with hotels in Rome, as I lived there, and when I go back, I stay in a apartment near the Vatican. While the apartment is out of your price range, I will absolutely recommend it because it is fully-furnished, has multiple beds even in the one bedroom (there's a sofa-bed in the separate TV room), and the fully equipped kitchen will allow you to save money and eat many of your meals "at home" rather than out (there is a grocery store not far away - small, but has everything). See "An apartment in Rome" - Aurelia Residence Tip by mccalpin

Some people chose to stay out of the city center to try to lower the hotel cost. Because of the transit system, this is doable, even if it means that you have to factor in the extra travel time.

For example, if you stay out on the Via Aurelia west of the Vatican, you will be out of the city center (but definitely still in Rome), but the 246 bus (doing this from memory) still runs down the Aurelia to the center, and if you are close to Largo di Boccea, you can even pick up the Metro stop there.

There are a string of hotels along the Aurelia, some of them large chain hotels with the large parking lots needed for tour buses (tours can't often stay in hotels in the center). If you are having trouble in the center, perhaps this will help...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

As for the bus passes (good also on trams and the Metro):

*  BIT (€ 1,50) valid for 100 minutes after you validate it (insert the ticket into the yellow box on the bus to show that you've used it - big fine if you fail to do this)
       * BIG (€ 6,00) valid until midnight for the day you validate the pass
       * BTI (€ 16,50) valid until midnight of the 3rd day after (and including) the day you validate the pass.
       * CIS (€ 24,00) valid until midnight of the 7th day after (and including) the day you validate the pass.

Note that even the BIT allows for easy bus transfers (you have up to 100 minutes or almost two hours to complete your trip). The only funny thing is the Metro...if you use a BIT on the Metro, the turnstile will "eat" your ticket. Thus, if you want to do a bus/Metro transfer, you have to do the bus first. Of course, the turnstile will return your passes, it's only the BIT that has this "problem". Oh, and you should be able to transfer Metro lines at Termini without going through the turnstiles, so losing the BIT ticket won't be a problem there, either.

Bill

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Albergo del Senato - as was suggested - looks lovely but unfortunately it's WAY out of the OP's price range.

I'll agree with Leics that there are some very reasonable hotels around the Termini area, and it's not unsafe at all. We had accommodations within walking distance and it's convenient to many other attractions as well. I'd offer up our hotel choice but I know it'll be out of price range as well.

Yes, do punch your dates into booking.com or Venere.com and see what comes up? They both have believable rating systems, and are very easy to use.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I can confidently recommend the Hotel del Corso, which is on Via del Corso ( main through road) Very convenient situation (close to Spanish Steps) and other interesting places. Can walk to the Collisseum and Roman Forum. It cost us under 100euros last August.

2 members found this helpful

• doraem66's Profile Photo

by doraem66 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Thanks everyone here. As I'm not sure which area which I narrow down to search for accodomation. Should I near colosseum/ vatican/ termini/ spagna?

I have listed down some places, are these lcoation ok?

B&B Christina

Althea Inn

Hotel Del Corso also good one within my budget.

Will there be any hassles staying in apartment? (additional cleaning fee, security deposit etc...)

Thank you!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM

All of the places you mention are ok. Termini is the most convenient for getting to and from the airport. Spagna is a bit further from the Roman historical centre than Colosseum (which is pretty much in the heart of the Roman city). The Vatican is on the other side of the Tiber and quite some way from the Roman historical centre. I've stayed in the Vatican area (in a lovely b&b) but found I had to use bus & Metro most of the time, rather than walk all the time. But that's my personal preference and what suits you is up to you.

As for apartments, some may have extra deposits etc...but, as a solo female, I simply prefer not to have to do the cleaning, washing-up, making the bed etc when I'm on a short visit somewhere. Plus easy instant access to local help (hotel receptionist etc) which may or may not be a factor on a first visit. So I prefer hotels or b&bs and can, for one person for a short stay, always find something suitable within my budget and often for less than an apartment would cost.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Hi, Here is my tip about the hotel I stayed in, which was fine and I think satisfies most of your demands:

"Adequate hotel near Termini" - Bettoja Atlantico Hotel Tip by iblatt

Enjoy your trip to Rome!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Hotel del Corso is in a great convenient location. Also close to Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Colosseum

• iblatt's Profile Photo

by iblatt Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Out of these locations: Spagna ranks no. 1 Termini no.2 Colosseo no.3 Vatican: way out of most attractions except for the Vatican itself...

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

by Elainehead Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Hi,

I went to Rome last January and stayed near the Colosseum. I'm glad I chose that area because it couldn't get anymore central than that and my hotel was a few steps from a metro station. At that time I found a nice hotel deal on Expedia, but you should try this hotel price comparison website called Trivago (http://www.trivago.com/).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines