Rome Travel Answers

change location

Hotel close to airport

by heather88 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I will be ending my 2 week trip by flying out of Rome. I will be heading into Rome from Sorrento the day before my flight leaves. I have a very early departure, so I would like to stay fairly close (no more than 15/20 minutes by taxi) to the airport. That being said, I would prefer to be somewhat close to an area that still offers nice dining options since I will have a full evening to spend. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel close to airport

by cgf Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

the closest one is Hilton inside the airport I do not know about dinner, breakfast was good

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Which airport? Rome has 2 international airports: Fiumicino aka Leonardo da Vinci AND Ciampino. Fiumicino is about 30 km from the centre of Rome and Ciampino is about 16 km from the centre. Hope this helps. Once I know which airport I'll see if I can help with more information. Bruce

• cgf's Profile Photo

the closest one is Hilton inside the airport I do not know about dinner, breakfast was good

• cgf's Profile Photo

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Which airport? Rome has 2 international airports: Fiumicino aka Leonardo da Vinci AND Ciampino. Fiumicino is about 30 km from the centre of Rome and Ciampino is about 16 km from the centre. Hope this helps. Once I know which airport I'll see if I can help with more information. Bruce

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I did post only once, I'm sure I did...

to OP

don't trust 15/20 minutes taxi, you never know what it could happen in Rome, a storm may be enough to have trafic jam all over.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Well, the simple answer is to stay near Termini, the main train station in Rome, since you will arrive there from Naples, and can have a great evening. Then, the next morning, you can take a train direct to Fiumicino Airport. The trip is 35 minutes, but non-stop.

The real question is "when do you need to be at the airport?", because you may find that the first train leaving Termini is at 5:52 a.m. (arr at 6:23). If you need to be at the airport before that, let us know what time your flight departs and where it's going (i.e., inside or outside the EU), and we'll help you out...

Bill

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I would also like to know what day of the week you are leaving. I ask this because Termini would be fine 7 days a week, but if we put you in Lido di Ostia (the town nearby the airport), it's likely to be very quiet on a Sunday night...

Bill

• Re: Hotel close to airport

by heather88 Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. We are flying out of Fiumicino on a Saturday. Flight leaves at 6:15am to Amsterdam then on to Houston.

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

by gdilieto Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You may want to spend the night close to the airport unless you are keen for a very early wake up having no other transportation options but taxi.

There are many hotels in the village of Fiumicino basically catering to early departers from the airport. They are at about 10-15 minutes drive (many have shuttle buses) from the airport with access to a variety of dining options and a walk to kill some time.

Once I overnighted at one of those hotels in circumstances similar to yours and worked out pretty well. Cannot recall the hotel but I guess it doesn't matter as it was an airport hotel just like many others and you will find a variety of options to pick from.

Enjoy your trip to Italy! Giuseppe

1 member found this helpful

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Giuseppe is of course right that Fiumicino is closer than Lido di Ostia (the airport is called "Fiumicino" for a reason ;-) ); I didn't mention it because as a beach resort, I figured that Lido di Ostia had more hotels...but if Fiumicino has plenty to choose from and you're leaving on a Saturday morning, I'm guessing that even Fiumicino will have a restaurant or two open on Friday evening...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM

close to airport at Fumicino there are quite a few hotels working only with pax/crew

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

cgf wrote: close to airport at Fumicino there are quite a few hotels working only with pax/crew
     Yeah, but the OP said "I would prefer to be somewhat close to an area that still offers nice dining options since I will have a full evening to spend". Wouldn't it be better to stay in Fiumicicno or Lido di Ostia, to have someplace to walk around in that last evening? I assume that on a Friday evening, both towns would have a little nightlife...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM

ok, it's not like Piazza Navona or Campo de Fiori, but there are nice dining options as well at Fiumicino and Ostia.

Anyway I would stay at walkable distance from gates as OP should be at airport before 4 am.

I suggest having light dinner, going to a nice bed like Hilton's hotels use to have, awake early asking for a 'cestino colazione' (takeaway breakfast) as all the times I arrived (also few weeks ago) to Fiumicino around 7am I found always everything is almost (if not all) closed at airport and hotel will not start before 5:30 am Having some brekafast so early would help the metabolism once at home, 4am in Rome is 9pm previous day in Houston

by heather88 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM

thanks for the input! All that being said, is everyone recommending we stay in the Fiumicicno area? when I look for hotels through trip advisor, is that the area I should look for?

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

heather88 wrote:

thanks for the input! All that being said, is everyone recommending we stay in the Fiumicicno area? when I look for hotels through trip advisor, is that the area I should look for?

Yes, Fiumicino should be an area you can search on, it being the village next to the airport...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quite a few hotes in Fiumicino area have free shuttle also very early in the morning, checkit before booking.

by heather88 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Looks like hotel Tiber has the best ratings fr the area. Any other hotel recommendations?

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't know it - but Hotel Tiber has good reviews on T.A.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines