Romania Travel Answers

change location

Should I rent a car or self drive

by ballys79 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

We are (family of 3 ) are planning to visit romania in the first week of april. Planning to rent a car as usual but wonder if I should take a private tour instead?

Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Traveling_Duck's Profile Photo

Re: Should I rent a car or self drive

by Traveling_Duck Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

You're not saying whether you want to stay in Bucharest or travel the country. If in Bucharest, use taxis (carefully look at the fare on the door, it should be in the vicinity of 1.3 or 1.4 Lei, and make sure the meter is on) or public transportation - you definitely don't want to drive. For the rest of the country, self drive is an option, if you're an experienced traveler. Most foreigners find driving in Romania daunting...
    Happy travels!

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Should I rent a car or self drive

by ballys79 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Thanks Traveling_Duck. Sorry for not clarifying myself. We will be traveling to Sinaia, Sibiu, Brasov and of course in the end to Bucharest. The whole trip is for 6 days. I checked some private tours who are chargin 660 Euros per person. But self driving option is half of that. So was wondering if we can enjoy and see the places similar to a private tour if at all we take self drive option. (Note we are traveling with our 2 year old son).
    I have been driven in more than 20 countries in last 6 years (such as Middle east, south africa, india, europe etc)
    Thanks again for the tips

Be the first to rate this answer!

by ballys79 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Thanks KShezz. Appreciate your reply. I'll go with international providers with all possible insurances to avoid such issues. Of course thorough checking before taking the car should help.

Thanks again

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:30 AM

If financial situation allows it i would always rent my own wheels as it gives you freedom to stop and explore wherever you want to. How many times have you been on a bus or train and wished you could get off and spend some time at attractions and villages you see from the window. That is my reasoning anyway!!!

1 member found this helpful

• Euromeet2013's Profile Photo

by Euromeet2013 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Hello, here is my answer to your question, hope it helps.

For your route of cca 300km as I understand it will be like Sibiu - Fagaras - Brasov - Sinaia - Bucharest - that is the DN1 national road - meaning it is a dual carriage way (not a highway) - a busy road, there is no need to pay a private tour, you should rent a car and do your own travel. Romanian VT members are also here with advices :)

Rent a car from Europcar, Avis or Hertz, if you don't want a Romanian car (Dacia Logan), and renting from those big companies is as safe and sound as it is in whole Europe.

Driving style in Romania is pretty aggresive, with people speeding and other people rolling too laid back, but is no harder to drive than Rome to Napoli lets say (on the national roads not highways), but driving is not such a big deal in Romania - I go to Sibiu few times per year and to Sinaia like 6 times per year (to Bucharest), it's ok :)

Have a great trip in April and if you're in Bucharest give a horn :)

1 member found this helpful

by ballys79 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Thanks guys. All your answers have encouraged me to go with self drive option. I'll go with international rental companies.

by Arianas18 Online Now Jul 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Hello, if you want to rent a car, like i did in Brasov, it's a small company and they have Renault Symbol , rent for 10 /day and the fuel it's very cheap. Find her in 0752.81.31.01 mobile number.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Romania Travel Answer Locations