Rocky Mountain National Park Travel Answers

change location

High altitute health risks?

by kimjacocks Online Now Apr 14, 2007 at 2:55 PM

We will be traveling to Estes Park, near Rocky mountain National Park in June. I'm bringing my elderly father who has some health problems...like heart and mild enphazema. Also bringing my 4 lb yorkie that's like my child....any health risk for her? We live in Louisiana. The highest altitude my dad has been is the Smokies.

Thanks,
Kim

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

Re: High altitute health risks?

by qaminari Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 5:39 AM

This is not a travel but a medical question, and you should of course get proper advice from a doctor/vet. However, a little googling reveals that Estes Park is at 7500ft while "high altitudes", at which people with emphysema should "take care", start at 8000ft.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Transitoria's Profile Photo

Re: High altitute health risks?

by Transitoria Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM

You may want to consider a portable oxygen tank for Dad and to study the symptoms of altitude sickness as they resemble flu symptoms. My ex, who is 6'4" and in fabulous health had to be helped off a mountain in Colorado. He was simply sightseeing, nothing strenuous. Some people seem to be affected moreso than others.

• Re: High altitute health risks?

by LinColorado Online Now Apr 28, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Keep in mind that although Estes Park is at only 7500 feet, it's in a valley so to get there you'll be higher. Trail Ridge Road in RMNP goes up to 12000 feet. I'd also recommend an oxygen tank for your father.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Rocky Mountain National Park