Rochester Travel Answers

change location

Is this a safe area in Rochester?

by baz12 Online Now Jul 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I am going to be visiting Rochester University with my son. Is this a safe area? I would like to stay at the Strathallan Hotel on East Avenue. How is the neighborhood-both day and night? No one at the University seems to answer our questions about safety.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Is this a safe area in Rochester?

by pg12359 Online Now Jul 7, 2009 at 8:44 AM

I graduated from the University of Rochester and have also stayed at the Strathallan. Safety is a relative term. I do not consider either area "unsafe" but, as always, common sense should prevail if wandering around these areas - particularly at night.
    The U of R campus is very safe and there is really no reason to leave the campus - especially if you are just visiting. I did not wander around the area of the Strathallan since I attended a wedding there and had no reason to leave the hotel. I did park my car on the street for two nights and had no problems.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Is this a safe area in Rochester?

by baz12 Online Now Jul 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Thank you for your response. Some people were saying some parts of the city are high crime areas--I just wanted to make sure of this area. I know at night, in all areas something can happen, but the percentage is higher in some neighborhoods (as I can attest to in my own city of Phoenix AZ). Thanks again for your reply.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines