Rochester Travel Answers

change location
iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Visiting Rochester, Letchworth Park and Erie Canal

by iam1wthee Online Now Aug 21, 2004 at 1:28 AM

Next month I plan on going to Rochester from NYC. While there I plan to see Letchworth Park and Erie Canal. Does anyone know of a hotel in Rochester that has a tour desk to take one to these other places? If not is there a tour agency in Rochester that takes you to the other places mentioned? You see if there is then I would just take the plane up there, however, if there isn't then I would try to drive up there. The drive is like 5-7hours I understand and I have never driven for this long. Is there any rest stop or interesting town along the way that anyone can recommend so that I can rest up for the other half of the drive? How is the weather there in early to midst September? Would the waters be too cold to do white water rafting in Letchworth park? Would it be to windy for ballooning? Is there a cruise that goes into Letchworth Park? How is traffic up there, is it as bad as NY? Can one find parking easy? Would the laser light shows still continue past Labor Day? Are there cruises in Erie after Labor day? I know this is a lot but your response is greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Visiting Rochester, Letchworth Park and Erie Canal

by clarion Online Now Aug 21, 2004 at 10:55 AM

I don't know the answers to your specific questions but one sure thing is that you will need a car. Unless you are elderly or disabled you should easily be able to do the drive from NYC to Rochester in a day, with lots of time to stop for rests. The driving in the area is not nearly as bad as NYC. If you stay in the suburbs, you don't need to do any city driving at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • trotterglobe's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Rochester, Letchworth Park and Erie Canal

by trotterglobe Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 12:30 PM

rochester is one cool city, i loved it. after being in new york for so long, i travelled there and stayed there for about a month. i was staying in berkley str, then onto culver avenue. driving around rochester is simple, and its nothing like new york, while there i used car, bike, and scooter and had no problems. if you want to know great info from great people, look up the "old toad pub" and ring and ask them, i know its not really a tourist info place but the people there are brilliant, brits and americans. and they would be sure to help you find a place to stay and point you in the right direction.! ps. i got the plane up there for about60 dollars which is not a lot. have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines