Rochester Travel Answers

change location
sfergus2's Profile Photo

3 days in Finger Lakes area

by sfergus2 Online Now Jul 8, 2004 at 8:14 PM

We will be travelling on the Spirit of Ontario to Rochester as a great excuse to visit the Finger Lakes area. Any recommendations for accomodations, great restaurants, wineries, hiking trails? We have 3 days .

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • chrissyalex's Profile Photo

Re: 3 days in Finger Lakes area

by chrissyalex Online Now Jul 9, 2004 at 6:00 PM

Hi, I am hoping to take The Spirit of Ontario also this summer, but to visit Toronto! One of the nicest towns (in my opinion) in the Fingerlakes is Ithaca. Check this site www.visitithaca.com If you would like to do some hiking, then this is the place to visit since there are a few different state parks located there...Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls, Robert H. Tremain State Park. Taughannock Falls is probably the most famous because it has the highest freefalling waterfall in the northeast USA. There are hiking trails to the bottom of the falls...very easy hiking and only about a 1 and 1/2 kilometers or so..but a nice walk...there is also a upper view point to see the falls. Buttermilk Falls is nice too...the hiking is uphill with some stairs , but not difficult. Parking is7 , but the cool thing is...it is good for any of the NY state parks for that day...so you can visit a few of them in 1 day and only pay the7 once. Another thing nice to visit in Ithaca is The Farmers Market ..if you are visiting on the weekend. It's great...not just fruits ,vegetables,baked goods,plants but nice crafts and many diffierent food stands offering various cuisines...for example..Thai,Cambodian,Macrobiotic...The Macrobiotic stand is awesome...and seems the most popular. You can also take a scenic boatride around the lake from the Farmer's market. Ithaca is located on Cayuga Lake which has many wineries, you can take a ride around the lake and stop at a few along the way...check this site for a map www.cayugawinetrail.com. The only bad thing is Ithaca is about an 1hr 45 minute drive from Rochester. A closer place to Rochester for hiking is Letchworth State park...I am guessing about 40 minute drive south of Rochester....very large park..if you want to take a long hike..It has waterfalls too. If you would like any other suggestions...please Email me Enjoy your trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chrissyalex's Profile Photo

Re: Re: 3 days in Finger Lakes area

by chrissyalex Online Now Jul 9, 2004 at 6:02 PM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines