Rochester Travel Answers

change location
msforbes's Profile Photo

Ferry to Toronto

by msforbes Online Now Feb 25, 2004 at 9:38 AM

So, it looks like we finally have a ferry contecting Rochester with Toronto. However I couldn't find the name of the boat. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should call this ship? My idea is "The Loyalist."

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • cheryl_mcleod21's Profile Photo

Re: Ferry to Toronto

by cheryl_mcleod21 Online Now Feb 25, 2004 at 10:14 AM

It does have an offical name (it may be called the Spirit of Ontario but I'm not completely postitive), but there was a competition in Toronto and Rochester to give it an interesting name. no word yet who won, but the competition is over so it's too late to enter your name. My idea was TorRo. The people who held the competition reported that the majority of its entries were either TorRo or RoTo so I think there is a pretty good chance of that being the informal name in some form. Currently the ferrry is making its way from Australia, where it was built, to Lake Ontario

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Ferry to Toronto

by cdever Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 5:07 PM

my kids came up with "lord of the lake". we missed the contest deadline. i think i heard it will be called.......spirit of ontario.

Re: Re: Ferry to Toronto

by cheryl_mcleod21 Online Now Feb 28, 2004 at 4:11 PM

Spirit of Ontario is just its official name the contest was to come up with another name

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Online Now Feb 28, 2004 at 4:17 PM

A ferry from Australia to Lake Ontario??? Man! That's some ferry-ride!!!!! Hate to think what kind of fare they are charging! Guess it's better than building a bridge! *grin*

by cheryl_mcleod21 Online Now Mar 3, 2004 at 5:55 AM

It's not a ferry from Toronto to Australia. It's going to be a ferry from Toronto to Rochester. It was built in Australia so they have to send it to Toronto first.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Online Now Mar 3, 2004 at 6:01 AM

Oh I knew that... but just thinking about how long that one-way ride was going to be! :-D Hope they have a good snack-bar, and now I do recall hearing something about them having movies or videos or something. Better have a good stock of them on the trip, because I would think the passengers aren't going to want to see the same ones over again. Perhaps this would be a good place to show the uncut version of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. *grin* Please realise that I am just teasing. I am curious though of what kind of ship a ferry gets shipped on... and is it shipped in one piece or if it has to be reassembled somewhere in Canada? I think I need more to do than think of these silly questions *sigh*.

• rdywenur's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Ferry to Toronto

by rdywenur Online Now Mar 10, 2005 at 4:00 PM

The official name was/is Spirit of Ontario. And the names chosen in the contest was The Breeze. I did not hear anything on the news that it was being renamed. We got it back after problems with CATS and it was put up for auction and we won the bid and it is my understanding that it will be starting up again in May.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines