Rochechouart Travel Answers

change location

De La Chaumette family

by pugsley620 Online Now Feb 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM

I am a decendent of the De La Chaumette family. I am looking for any family history and also history on Rochechouart. If there is anyone who can assist me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • RE: De La Chaumette family--the American side

by repaulling Online Now Oct 29, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Jean de la Chaumette came to America and here a citation of the family, which became the Shumate family
    There were 50 copies of this but I only know of two that remain, in the Virginia State Library

Call Number CS71.S5628 1964
    Author Von Stauffenberg, Theodor Friedrich.
    Title The Shumate family; a genealogy.
    Publication Washington, P. E. Hendrick, 1964.
    Material x, 273 p. facsims. (part fold.) geneal. tables. 29 cm.
    Gen. note "Copy no. 106 of a limited edition."
    Note Bibliography: p. 242-246.
    Note Copy 2: "Copy no. 50."
    Subject - Personal Chaumette family (Jean de la Chaumette, ca. 1665-ca. 1727)
    Chaumette family.
    Shumate family.

You probably already know the rest
    France
    Name: Jean De La Chaumette
    Birth: 1664 - France
    Death: 1728 - Stafford, Virginia, USA (United

Chaumette: The Missouri Winery with French Roots
    The French family name 'de la Chaumette" goes back as far as the 13th century.
    The name persisted through monarchies, the Reformation and the French Revolution.
    During the 17th century, Jean de la Chaumette left France and, by way of England, arrived in the
    New World. Today the family name, which means "little roofs", proudly belongs to this winery and
    the premium wines it produces.

de la Chaumette, Jean Baptiste
    Birth : 1660 Rochechouart,Poitiers,France
    Death : 1728
    Parents:
    Father: de la Chaumette, Daniel
    Mother: au Couturier, Marie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: De La Chaumette family

by elfin422 Online Now Mar 9, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Hello -
    I too am a descendant; my last name is Shumate.
    In 2004 I took the trip of my lifetime--to Rochechouart.
    Long story, but if you're interested, I'll be glad to give you
    some details and share my photos with you.
    Be well
    - Michael Shumate

• Re: De La Chaumette family

by bpratledge Online Now Jul 23, 2007 at 7:21 AM

I am new to this and I am replying to Elfin422's post. I have been doing some research on my family history and ran across this site. I am a De La Chaumette descendant, as well. Your descendant Jean De La Chaumette, born 1660, had a brother named Pierre De La Chaumette, born 1666. He traveled through Martinique or England to the US a few years before Jean, his brother, travled to the US. He planted roots in Gloucester County, NJ, his son moved to Frederick County, MD, and his son moved to NC. That is where I am from. I am very interested in any information and pictures you have from your travels to Rochechouart, France. They would be greatly appreciated because I am planning a trip to France in the next five years. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me. Thank you again.

by dmshumate Online Now Jul 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM

I too am a Shumate and would be very interested in Michael's pictures and tips on visiting Rochechouart.
    Donna

by geminijunebug Online Now Dec 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM

I had one of the original von Stauffenburg books. My cousin and I copied it and donated the original to the Wilkes County Library, in Wilkes, North Carolina. It has many fold out documents. My Shumate relative is Frances Shumate (1793) m. to George W. Smoot. She is probably a daughter of Samuel & Ann Peppers Shumate of Henry, Virginia (no proof), but she was married in Henry County. I don't know whether I can help anyone (please only contact me after you have exhausted info on the web) and I will be glad to help you. Two websites to start with are www.shumake.org/Jean%20de%20la%20Chaumette.htm and www.geocities.com/hartranfthistory/Shumate.htm?20089. I found these on a google search of de la chaumatte, you can too. Good Luck, Pam

by pugsley620 Online Now May 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM

anything you can show me aout the family and where we come from it greatly appreciated

by wku_1984 Online Now Sep 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I realize this is an old post, but if you have information to share about visiting rochechourt I would greatly appreciate the information

by DianaB19 Online Now Mar 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM

shuemake.org/introduction2.h... relative in Alabama that also has extensive history etc - I am part of Shumates that currently reside in Cincinnati OH - I live in New York. - My father and uncles are planning a trip to France to see the Chaumette Castle that is still there.

Diana Shumate Baggott

by JudiT230 Online Now Aug 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Hello Tim Tuggle, descendant of Daniel Shumate & Millicent Callison's daughter, Melinda who married a Larkin Tuggle, son, Larkin Jr. & Isabella Coalter, son John & Addie Mosier, son Elvin & Jessie Pearman, son Donald &Lura Baker, down to son Tim Tuggle (me). Would like copy of pictures and any info on origin in France and Martinique. Can be reached at juditug@live.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines