by mjg1804 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Is it better to change sterling cash for Euros in Italy (Lake Garda area )or
in the UK ?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: money exchange pounds to euros

by leics Online Now May 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM

I have not found it makes any real difference at all, personally.

Rates are very much the same (apart from airport rates being a bit worse than elsewhere, which seems to be a general norm wherever one travels). And, of course, rates vary from day to day. So you might find euros a bit cheaper here (by a hundredth or thousandth of a cent or so) but more expensive the next day when you have arrived.

I'd suggest you change enough in the UK to get you started (from somewhere which does not charge commission, such as the Post Office) and, if you need more, use the ATMs in Italy to withdraw what you need.

Most VT-ers use ATMs (cash machines) to get their cash when abroad . If your card has a Visa or Mastercard logo it will work in the vast majority of European ATMs.

Make sure you tell your bank that you will be abroad before you go, and check what it will charge you for any withdrawals. Also make a separate note of the emergency phone numbers for contacting your bank if you lose your card or if it is refused.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: money exchange pounds to euros

by Vienna0815 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 4:10 AM

such things are at best to be done in a bank, where you have a account.
    In Italy it could also take several days bevor you find a open bank.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM

If you have a Debit card you need not worry about finding an "open" bank - as at home in the UK - use an ATM/Cash machine/Bancomat.

• Re: money exchange pounds to euros

by Vienna0815 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I think the question here was changing sterling cash

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Quite right Vienna0815 :)
    I was just backing up the suggestion in the previous reply about the convenience of using ATM's. Also, in my experience, more convenient and safer than carrying large amounts of usable cash - at home or abroad.

• davesut's Profile Photo

by davesut Online Now May 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

If all you need is cash to get started then I have found changing in the UK is cheaper and let's face it, much more convenient. Who wants to be trudging around Lake Garda looking for the bank with the cheapest deal when you could be enjoying being on holiday? And you are only a click away from finding out the best deal at home anyway.

If you are not taking or do not have a bank account with an ATM may I suggest getting yourself a prepayment card. Some of these are cheaper than using some current account ATMs.

There are a number of money saving websites that give some explanation of all the fees you may be subjected to which I suggest everyone who is travelling abroad from the uk should be aware of.
    This is one example
    moneysavingexpert.com/travel... with up to ate info on prepaid cards

• davesut's Profile Photo

by davesut Online Now May 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

PS order in advance over the internet on the Post Office website and you will get a better rate than if you turn up at the counter, the same applies to Thomas Cook and others I am sure.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines