Riva del Garda Travel Answers

change location

Hotel Vecchio Porto Excelsior

by helenofphilly Online Now Mar 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

The self catering suites at the Hotel Vecchio Porto Excelsior look funky and cool, but I cannot find a review anywhere. Has anyone stayed there? I would love to hear something firsthand.

Many thanks, helen

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel Vecchio Porto Excelsior

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Hmmmn, this is a tough one. First, the name is "Residence Vecchio Porto Excelsior" (http://www.rivadelgarda.com/excelsior/), but having that name doesn't help, either.

I looked in tripadvisor, and they have a listing for this place, but no reviews. There is a forum reference to the Residence: "We did have a look at the Residence Excelsior appartments which are right on the the lake and almost in the centre of town but I can't comment on the appartments themselves" - see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1...

I see a website called "http://www.rivaexcelsior.com/" which says that it is for the Residence Excelsior holiday apartments, but this is at Via Gargnano, 4 - which would place it next door to the Porto Vecchio Excelsior. Are they the same place? Same owners? I don't know. I do see on this latter website that they say that they are 0.6 kilometers from the historic city center, which jives with the forum reference - "almost in the centre of town "...

That's all I've found...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Hotel Vecchio Porto Excelsior

by helenofphilly Online Now Mar 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Residence, Hotel, it is definitely the same place -- just hard to know what anyone thinks about staying there. It does look divine - and I think I will book there blindly - and write a review. You are kind to spend the time trying to help me. Many thanks, helen

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel Vecchio Porto Excelsior

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I am surprised about the lack of reviews, too, and I looked at tripadvisor and venere.com which normally have all sorts of reviews about every property in Italy.

One possibility (which I've seen before) is that the current name of the property may be quite recent. However, you can usually work around this by searching on the street address instead, but I had no luck with that either (that was how I found the property next door).

Maybe the clientele is just VERY discreet ;-)

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines