Riomaggiore Travel Answers

change location

livorno to riomaggiore by bus

by joanrod Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Is it possible to catch a local bus from port of livorno to riomaggiore please?If so is there a return timetable available for April 2013;

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • craic's Profile Photo

Re: livorno to riomaggiore by bus

by craic Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Riomaggiore is on the train route from livorno - it would require catching a bus to the station - or a taxi

there may be buses from the port to riomaggiore - not sure about that

check on the trenitalia site for prices and times for the train

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Jen is right. In Italy, rail service is the standard for long distance travel except certain restricted markets, of which Livorno to Riomaggiore is not one. Indeed, I wouldn't even bother looking for bus solutions, because the rail solution is omnipresent and cheap.

When you look at the website that she gave you, though, be sure NOT to put in your April dates yet, because the timetables are frequently not loaded more than 60 days out. On the other hand, the times of trains don't change much over the year. What you need to do is enter a date in the next week or two that is the same day of the week that you expect to be in Livorno - this will be close enough for your planning purposes...

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My preferred link for Trenitalia times, details and fares in English is:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

Just check times and fares for next week on the same day of the week as you intend to travel.

As noted, there is no need to take a bus from Livorno to Riomaggiore (even if one exists, which I very much doubt). Just take the train. Italian trains are safe, comfortable enough and very easy to use even if you have no Italian at all.

Journey time is from around 1.5 hours, with one change of train at La Spezia Centrale. It's easy to change trains. Platforms have electronic displays so you can see which train is arriving next and where it will stop (a scrolling display underneath the final destination) and railway websites are set by default to ensure you have enough time to make the change.

I suggest you buy a return (round-trip) ticket from Livorno rather than buy your ticket to Livorno from Riomaggiore. Riomaggiore station is very small and I am not sure it has the more modern, computerised ticket machines. When I visited (out of season)the ticket office closed for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

At Livorno Centrale you can either buy your ticket from the ticket office or...to avoid queues...buy it from the computerised ticket machines, which all have English language options. Machines accept cash and give change, and will also accept cards with chip & PIN.

The journey from Livorno >La Spezia is on either a Frecciabianca or InterCity train. Your ticket will show a seat number and a departure time for this type of train, so you do not need to validate it. The journey from La Spezia>Riomaggiore is on a regional train, with no reserved seating (but it only takes 8 minutes!).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines