Riomaggiore Travel Answers

change location
TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Train from Milan

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Checking the Italian Trenitalia site I cannot find a train, even with transfer from, Milan to Manarola in Cinque Terre or even to Levante. Must I go the other way first through La Spezia or this there a train I can take with a transfer?

Need your help.  Thanks.
Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Re: Train from Milan

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The Trenitalia site came back up and I am ok now. Anyone take this train and have any comments? Thanks again.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Hmpf...I found a number of trains that fit your requirements: 1. dep Milano Centrale at 6:10 am, arr in Manarola at 9:44, change at Genova Piazza Principe 2. dep Miano Centrale at 7:25 a.m., at Manarola at 11:16, no change 3. dep Milano Centrale 8:10 a.m., arr Manarola at 12:10, change at Sestri Levante. 4. and so on...

Do you not see these solutions? Is it possible that you are looking more than 60 days in advance (when the databases are not complete?)?

Bill

1 member found this helpful

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Thanks Mc. It turned out I as looking out too far in advance and nothing came up.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I've not made that particular journey but trains are trains, in my experience. Italian trains are safe, comfortable enough and pleasant to travel in (imo). I always travel second-class, because I see no point in spending money to do otherwise...but that's a personal choice.

For Manarola, I'd go for the 0725 direct or the 1210, 1405 or 1605 (with one change) for ease of journey and cheaper fare than those departures which include a Freccia segment.

1 member found this helpful

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Manarola is my favorite town in Cinque Terre! I've done the train journey from Florence, and it was easy. The hardest part is once you get off in Manarola. Depending on where your hotel is, you may have to lug your luggage up a tall, steep street. Pack lightly--I wish I had! : )

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Thanks Jane, I think I will book the 12 train in a few days.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

You know that you don't actually need to *book* that journey online in advance? There's no need at all, in fact, unless you can get the cheap advance fare online. I can't see any such cheap offers when I choose random dates in March....

So you can just buy your ticket from Milan Centrale on either the day you leave or a day or so beforehand if you prefer. The second part of the journey is on a regional train, so no discounts there anyway (and no reserved seats).

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines