Rio de Janeiro Travel Answers

change location
DSwede's Profile Photo

Mountain biking options

by DSwede Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I'm in the process of moving to Rio for ~10 months, starting in January. I'm an outdoor type person and typically travel with any combination of my skis, mountain bike, roller blades, scuba, etc. particularly for my longer assignments.

Are there any good mountain biking areas accessible from Rio? They don't have to be "in" the city, but rather just near it. If the answer is no, then I will not bring my bike. Any links or maps would be appreciated!
-Dave

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Mountain biking options

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I spend 3 weeks in Rio last year with my bike and totally loved it.
    This was not mountainbiking though, but biking on the bikelanes along the many beaches.
    I really think this is the coolest way to hang out on the Rio beaches and then you don´t need to worry about transportation back home either.

Sorry that i am not able to help with offroad biking as i do not really do that myself.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Swede--

One of the best areas to m. bike in Rio is the Santa Rita area. Here are two links one that talks shows you some pics of Santa Rita and the other that shows you a trail. I have not been on the trail but I think you will really enjoy Santa Rita and biking there.

Tip: Cheap to rent a bike, I don't think I would bring mine unless your company was picking up the tab for the cost. Also find a friend to go with when you m. bike.

mirantesmt.com/2011/05/23/sa...

wikiloc.com/trails/mountain-...

Let me know what you think.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out those links. I'm open to renting a bike for a couple days here and there, but my bike is my bike. Its tailored to me and my riding style. I have a case and it travels with me. Not to worry about the expense, I have enough status with airlines that I've never once had to pay for it. I have had to ship it a couple times but then the company picks up the bill for that too.

I have a road bike too, but prefer to be off the tracks. If I do a lot of road riding, I swap my tires for 'slicks' and lock my shocks.

I had a bike stolen in Barcelona several years back. I went inside to meet some VT'ers at a cafe and when I came out, gone. They went through a 10mm stainless steel cable and left no trace. Am I going to be up against the same threat in Rio?

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Anything remotely valuable is fair game in Rio and the burbs around it.

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Just lock the bike to a lamppost with a big fat chain and you should be ok.

• Mesven's Profile Photo

by Mesven Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM

The mayor of Rio de Janeiro has just announced that 60 secure docking stations for Rio’s new bike rental program will be installed across the city by December 13, making 600 bicycles available to the public.

http://bo.st/uuMn79

As of last week, 11 bike rental stations in Copacabana were open for business.

Users of the new bike rental program have to register online to buy a pass.

Users need to register with this web site:

http://bit.ly/rFkZpj

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Thanks for the link to the bike rental, I'll consider that.

As for putting a big chain around a lamp post, that's exactly what I did in Spain. 10mm thick stainless steel, gone in 5 minutes, right in middle of the day. I'll look for something more resilient, but anything larger is too big to carry comfortably.

by cachaseiro Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Brazilian thiefs do not focus on stealing bicycles and do not carry bolt cutters around.
    If you lock it to something then you should be fine in the daytime.
    I locked it like that every day when i was in Rio and noone ever tried to stealit.
    In Europe it´s a different matter cause you have people who specialice in bike theft because there are so many bikes and stealing bikes is profitable.

• Mesven's Profile Photo

by Mesven Online Now Nov 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Bicycle theft is widespread in Rio de Janeiro.

The city's previous bike rental program was not a complete success in part because many of the bikes were stolen.

• rodrigopintosp's Profile Photo

by rodrigopintosp Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 4:32 PM

If you care enough about your bike to bring it down here, I wouldn't leave it unattended in Rio (I'm also a bike lover and lived in Rio for 3 years).

There used to be MTB trails in Tijuca Forest, but those were shut down. There still are great little tarmac roads climbing the mountains right in the middle of Rio city in various different routes - even one that goes all the way to the top of Corcovado mountain / Christ.

I'm not too much into to MTB, but I know there are good trails near Petropolis / Teresópolis, Angra dos Reis and other places, all one or two hours away from Rio city. DEFINITELY bring your bike with you (bringing a set of slick tires is also a good idea).

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for all the help!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines