Rio de Janeiro Travel Answers

change location
matriczone's Profile Photo

World Cup 2014

by matriczone Online Now Oct 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

We are a group of about 10 People from South Africa who would love to visit Brazil for the world cup.We started saving this year and hope to be able to afford the trip by then,any advice on cheap accomodation(Backpackers) close to the soccer stadium and how to travel between stadiums (if we secure tickets).
This will be our first trip to Brazil it will be nice to meet locals to show us around. Thank you

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: World Cup 2014

by 2deJulho Online Now Oct 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Your enthusiam is commendable but I suspect you are a little early to get any meaningful advice.

You want close accomodation to the stadium? Which stadium/stadia. The WC is being hosted over a number of cities spanning the length of the country. Unless you are randomly picking a locale, you won't have an idea of what games and where to go until the fixtures are settled which won't be for another couple of years. Close to the stadia? Close may be a relative thing. If you mean close to Maracanã or Morumbi, I doubt you will want to stay too close to them. If the new Fonte Nova is completed in time then close option in Salvador will be the usual in the Centro Historico or Barra. Pray that they do because the current options are miles from anywhere.

Cheap accomodation? Forget it or at least define your expectation of cheap. Brazil is not a cheap destination and prices are going to be ramped up at least 4-5 fold for the WC. They always are for events like this, you only have to look at the cash in over Rock in Rio. Minimum stay requirements and tripling of prices, a bit like carnaval.

Transport options between cities are basically bus and plane. Plane often works out cheaper than bus for long distance travel. Of course availability is going to be an issue. Rio to São Paulo is about six hours by bus or less than an hour flight. Rio to Salvador is about 26 hours on a bus vs a two hour flight.

I get the impression this is more of a holiday than a football pilgrimage so maybe start looking at guidebooks as to which cities you want to see. Don't miss Salvador.

One more thing, don't bring those f#@king plastic vuvuzelas with you. The local tradition for crowd noise runs to drums, music, singing and chanting. Go with the flow.

good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RoseFerreira's Profile Photo

Re: World Cup 2014

by RoseFerreira Online Now Oct 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM

First of all you have to decide to which games you want to see, and then see in which city they are playing. If you don't have a preference to see a particular team playing and you want to see the openings or the finals, than you are talking about Rio and São Paulo. Be aware that Brazil is a very big country and 12 cities where chosen to have the games. the sities are (by alphabetical order): Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Cuiabá, Fortaleza, Manaus, Natal, Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and São Paulo. I live in Fortaleza, and many things has strated to be built for the WC. Here for example it is not interesting being near the stadium, because a metro is being built to get to the stadium, there will be buses just to go to the stadium. The FIFA is in every city chosen to make sure all the infra structure/ projects are being made. As my husband works with this subject (can’t say which) he already informed me the Big hotels of Fortaleza are in negations already with the leaders of the FIFA for the teams that are coming to play here and also the big excursion networks are also trying to negotiate the prices and number of rooms they want. But any of these city are full of small hotels, hostels even people renting rooms in their homes to achieve some money. As mentioned already the prices will not be cheap, but when 10 friends are already looking for info and are already saving money, I’m sure all of you will be coming to Brazil.
    Here are 2 sites that is always postings info on the WC.

portal2014.org.br/cidades-se...

http://www.portal2014.org.br/

• matriczone's Profile Photo

Re: World Cup 2014

by matriczone Online Now Nov 4, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Thank you for your reply.Close as in walking distance, then again it does not matter if we have to travel to the stadium we just need to have an idea of what we up against.

• Re: World Cup 2014

by 2deJulho Online Now Nov 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM

You aren't going to find much in the way of accomodation in walking distance of Maracanã and I doubt you would want to stay there. Most tourist accom is located in Zona Sul. That said it's directly opposite a metro stop so the stadium is very easy to get to.

Same deal with Morumbi, not sure you will find a great deal close by. In Salvador I suppose you could walk to Fonte Nova from the Pelourinho but it would be a bloody long walk.

Look at the proposed venues, look at Google maps and then try correlating the stadia with accomodation.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines