Rio de Janeiro Travel Answers

change location
JosephW10's Profile Photo

help in itinerary

by JosephW10 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Hi,

I have 9 days in Rio de Janeiro from 17 April 13 till 25 April 13 and would like to visit

1. Machu picchu half a day
2. Cusco half a day or 1 day and 1 night
2. Iguaza falls half a day

I am fine with taking planes but i am not sure how do i go about booking it.

Can anyone help me by recommending a route i should take if not suggest any local tour company I can book from ?

Thank you so much

Joseph

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • koenvdz's Profile Photo

Re: help in itinerary

by koenvdz Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Hi Joseph, there is a local travel agency I work for that does this kind of itineraries. CASTELO VIAGENS in Rio de Janeiro. And please stay at least 2 nights in Foz de Iguaçu, So you have time to visit the falls from both the Argentinian and Brazilian side.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM

SImply put; if you want to visit Machu Picchu for half a day; this will take you a full day as you have to get there from Cusco and then return back.

While we spend a few days in the area, daytrippers take the early morning train from Cusco; get to Aguas Calientes by mid-morning; bus up to Machu Picchu and stay there until mid-afternoon and then bus back down to Aguas Calientes and take a mid-afternoon train back to Cusco. This means you will miss the towns and ruins along the route in the Sacred Valley.

Cusco itself is worth spending a day at; to visit the Incan and Spanish ruins.

1 member found this helpful

• JosephW10's Profile Photo

by JosephW10 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the replies.

To Koenvdc, may i check how much does your company charge for the tours?

To Grumpydiver, Is it too late to book all the trains and buses if i am in Rio De Janeiro because i read online and many people says that i should book early because there is a limit to the number of visitors daily.

Regards,
    Joseph

• NedHopkins's Profile Photo

by NedHopkins Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Are you aware of the distance from Rio to Cusco? It's about the same, in air miles, as the distance from Toronto, Canada to San Francisco, California. It'll take you most of four days round trip, Rio-Cusco, then another day Cusco-Machu Picchu. You'd be better off spending the full nine days in Brazil -- Rio, Foz do Iguacu, and maybe one other stop: Ouro Preto or Salvador da Bahia, for example.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM

if you have 9 days why not fully visit Brazil, you can go to Iguaçu and pantanal, and ile do melho, and florinapolis,and the beaches of Rio, plenty to do there.

leave the rest for another trip there. My opinion of course

hope it helps

• Re: help in itinerary

by LawrenceP Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hi Joseph,
    Assuming you've already booked your flight into Rio ... (if not, arrange to fly into Lima-Cuzco, do the MP trip, and then go on to Rio), the flights from Rio to Lima (& then Cuzco), etc. can easily be made directly from the airlines' website and/or from your (favorite) online sites ... if you prefer to arrange the flights yourself. Simply check the various flight times, fares, etc. on travel websites, and book what is works best for you.
    As a previous respondent had indicated, be prepared to spend a good part of a day traveling from Rio to Cuzco (and back). You may have already seen my post on traveling to MP ... be and go well prepared and you'll have less challenges ... e.g. altitude sickness, train schedules, etc.
    As a minimum, allow 2 (full) days, to fly from Rio to Iguazu ... visit the Falls and, if you're interested the Itaipu Dam, and return to Rio. Again, you can book flights online before you get there ... to maximize your chance of preferred flight schedules.
    Having just returned from visiting the Rio, Iguazu, etc.area(s), I believe you can schedule flight times (optimally) so as get the most (daylight) hours to visit, instead of wasting a "full" day going from one city to another.

• JosephW10's Profile Photo

by JosephW10 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your reply.

I will read up LawrenceP post and decide the best way to fly in and out of Lima.

Regards,
    joseph

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines