Ringebu Travel Answers

change location
kimspangrude's Profile Photo

Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by kimspangrude Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 7:22 PM

My husband and I are travelling to Ringebu, Norway in the fall. We would appreciate any info anyone has about travel there, where to stay, what to do, etc. Also, where does one fly in to be nearest to Ringebu?
Thanks, Kim Spangrude

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Travelnerd's Profile Photo

RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by Travelnerd Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 9:27 PM

Try web site www.ringebu.com or www.ringebu-natur.no. You can fly into Oslo and take the train/bus from the airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kimspangrude's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by kimspangrude Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your help! do you have any idea what the weather is like in mid-September there? I have been in the British Isles and Germany that time of year, but Norway is a little farther north. :)
    Kim

• Travelnerd's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by Travelnerd Online Now Feb 21, 2006 at 9:15 PM

In September you can expect quite nice weather, sunny days but chilly nights, also be prepared for some rain.

• Saagar's Profile Photo

RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by Saagar Online Now Feb 27, 2006 at 4:28 PM

Fly into Oslo Gardermoen airport (OSL). You can take a direct train from there to Ringebu. Not many per day, but still. I recommend the train rather than bus. Ringebu is located in the bottom of a deep valley, and the community is fairly small and quiet. A two-street town with a gas station as one of the main night spots. Mid-September will be fantastic in the mountains, with autumn colours in full and with newfallen snow on the peaks of the Ringebu mountains and nearby Rondane. Make sure that you go up from the valley and see some of the surroundings. There is a big river with good grayling fishing (local folks will tell you where and how), there are some cultural memorials, builkdings,m churches etc, and the odd spot of natural beauty, such as some of the side valleys /canyons. Some historical farms of note, among other those pertaining to the introduction of Christianity of Norway around yr 1000ad. At nearby harpefoss there is a canoeing/rafting opportunity. A bit further there is good rafting on Sjoa river. The weather at that sometimes have periods of cold weather with intense blue sky. There are a few places to stay, nothing in particular that I know of in the Valley, it's mainly motel style, for roadtravellers and local business travellers and as such nothing in particular. However, in the mountains there are some very nice places. I like the atmosphere of Venabygd Fjellhotell, even if the place isn't that luxurious or posh. Scenery and local knowledge there is superb. Very genuine staff, interested in enhancing your outdoors experiences especially. Spidspergseter is one step up, and a bit closer to Rondane Mountains. Further away, check Goppolen and Fefor for hotels and activities; it's a more well-developed place for torusim activities with a more luxurious touch. For a day trip by car travel over Venabygd/Ringebufjellet (mountains), along Atna river past Rondane mountains, up the Folldal valley, meet the E6 main road at Hjerkinn and turn left over the Dovre mountain plateau down past Dombås, Otta and again to Ringebu.
    Olav

• RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by normamae Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 7:24 AM

I visited Ringebu September 18-21, 2005. I had visited previously in 1970. My paternal grandfather immigrated from Ringebu in 1895, and I have many relatives in the area. I stayed with relatives. Ringebu is a small town and is located in a narrow valley. There is a river through the valley and mountainous terrain with forested areas. In mid-September, the leaves of the birch trees turn golden. Seeing the Ringebu Stave Church is a must. Unless you have relatives, a rental car would be nice to drive short distances in the area. It is also a great hiking, walking area. Flying to Oslo and taking the train to Ringebu would be the most direct. The town of Lillehammer is a must see and is much larger. Two attractions include Maihaugen and Olympic sites, and the shopping is very nice. Another good walking town. Hope this helps.

• RE: RE: Need Info About Travel In Ringebu

by normamae Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 7:37 AM

The weather during mid-September can vary as it does anywhere. Last year at the same time, I found it to be very comfortable. I wore jeans, long-sleeved light weight sweaters, tennis shoes. I also needed a light jacket in early morning, evening. The weather was a variety of sunshine, light clouds. There was no rain during my stay, but you should be prepared with umbrella or hooded jacket. It is an ideal time of the year for Norway due to the seasonal change and non-tourist season.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines