Riga Travel Answers

change location

Train

by jamesmenado Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Hi, I will travel to Riga in mid May 2013, and will take a train to Moscow. Can I just go to train station and buy the train ticket or have to purchase at travel agent? What does it cost, and how often the train to Moscow leave Riga. Please someone give some advice? Thanks.

James 

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Train

by planxty Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I'm afraid I can't help with the specifics but this website is very useful for train travel all over the world.

http://www.seat61.com/

Hope this assists,

fergy.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Train

by bugulma Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

There is a daily train to Moscow which starts in Riga at 16.45 and arrives to Moscow next day at 9.40 am. The sale on the trains is open 45 days in advance only (for May it could be good idea to buy the ticket in advance). For now, the cheapet seat is EUR 42 - it is so named "general" carriage-type with sitting rows along the carriage. Besides you may have "plazkart" where you may lay on the bed and it is EUR 68. Coupe-type carriage offers you a place in 4-people coupe and it is EUR 113.

Why not using planes? There is low cost company - AirBaltic, based in Riga. Maybe Russian Aeroflot has good offers too...

Moreover there is bus connection. For example, see ecolines.net. The duration of the route is like train, 14 hours around. The cost is EUR 55

3 members found this helpful

by planxty Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

There you go, I knew a member with goodknowledge would come along soon enough.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by nob-in Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Planxty, if you do decide to use a train, then would really recommend to buy ticket in advance via Latvian rail company website (about price travel.ldz.lv/en/ldz/priceli.... Besides the fact that you won't need to worry about the ticket anymore, in advance online purchase gives additional discount (up to 10%)

2 members found this helpful

by planxty Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Thanks for you reply "nob-in" but it wasn't me that was looking for the info. However, your info is definitely useful with a link and thanks on behalf of the original poster. Welcome to VT, I hope you enjoy it here and stay round a while.

1 member found this helpful

by jamesmenado Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Thank you so much it was very useful answered. Yes I was considering air but with the transportation to and from the airport plus the airport taxes (I bought plane ticket from Vancouver to Berlin, the fair was $595 and the airport taxes was $620, total $1215) .Next option is bus but for long journey, I need to use the toilet often. Yes I will book on line per suction. Thanks again,
    James

by jamesmenado Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Sorry wrong spelling "suction" should be suggestions.

by ehriga Online Now Jun 21, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Hey, you can buy ticket either online or at the station in ticket office. The price starts from 50$. Train leaves platform every day. Check for more information here - riga-guide.com/riga-travel-i...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Riga