Rift Valley Province Travel Answers

change location
IceCurler's Profile Photo

Location Name for Equator sign in Kenya

by IceCurler Online Now Mar 18, 2003 at 11:11 AM

I wanted to place a photo with a "YOU ARE CROSSING THE EQUATOR" "JAMBO KENYA!" and "ALT. 2270 M" in my site, but they neglected to tell us where exactly we were at the time. Here are the clues: Altitude = 2270 M, which converts to 7447.87 FT ~ 7448 FT. I don't think it is Nanyuki, as I have seen quite a few signs from there and they all say "Nanyuki" on it. There was (of course) a water demonstration, craft store, equator certificate at the location. It is in the Rift Valley. We were there when on the 7/02 Elderhostel 'Rural Kenya' trip. I have come up with two possibilities: Nyahururu, and Nyeri, but couldn't find confirmation with an identical sign in photos found on the internet. (Eventually, I will probably be using the photo as my member picture, and then you would be able to click it and have a look-see, but for now, I have figured out how to take it down to a smaller size (300x400 pixels), but using what I have available here at work, Microsoft Paint, I can't convert it from .bmp to one of the three acceptable formats. Once I do, you can look at the actual photo for more clues. I'll be the one on the right when that happens!) Cheers!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • L-A's Profile Photo

Re: Location Name for Equator sign in Kenya

by L-A Online Now Apr 5, 2003 at 1:23 PM

Its probably Naro Moru. I was there in 1992 and is very close to the equator - they told me at the time that actual signs were at Nanyuki but if there was a little village and bus stop there with a bank, as well as the other stuff it just might have been Naro Moru (I stayed at Noru Moru River Lodge) in June 1992.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Rift Valley Province Travel Answer Locations