Richmond Travel Answers

change location

What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by suewags23 Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 4:57 PM

Hi,
My husband is retiring from the Air Force next Nov. and I really want to move to kentucky. I found a house that I just love in Richmond but he doesn't think he will be able to find a job in Kentucky. He does networking (not real sure of what that is) just know it has something to do with computers. Can anyone tell me what the job situation is there. Also what is Richmond like. I am having a hard time finding pictures of the area except for some historic buildings but I want to see more of the whole town and area.
Thanks for any help.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Krumlovgirl Online Now Nov 3, 2005 at 2:30 PM

You can check out my page on Richmond for some restaurant and shopping tips. I love Richmond myself. It's a nice, quiet, medium sized town with Lexington, Lousiville, and Cincinatti close by. There is some beautiful countryside there and it's a fairly peaceful place to live. He would probably have more luck finding work in Lexington than in Richmond. A lot of people in Richmond have to commute out. Last year I worked in Berea, another beautiful town about 10 miles down the road. The local newspaper is the Richmond Register and you can check it out at www.richmondregister.com If you have anymore questions then please feel free to send me an email. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Little_Lou_Lou's Profile Photo

RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Little_Lou_Lou Online Now Nov 3, 2005 at 3:06 PM

I know that they are hiring at the Kentucky Army Depot and with his military history, that should be a cake walk. At Bluegrass Community and Technical college, they are always hiring for IT people and they have a flexible schedule with great benefits. There are also Lexmark and Toyota that pay well and always need computer people in different areas of the factories and in their main offices.

jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/jo...

bluegrass.kctcs.edu/LCC/ADMI...

lexmark.com/US/hr/employ/ind...

toyotageorgetown.com/careers...

You are welcome to check out my travel pages for pictures of Richmond and the surrounding areas. The town is OK, not my favorite place that I have lived but by far not the worst. They have great schools here and there are several private schools if you don't like the public ones. As far as culture goes, there isn't a whole lot here unless you like the college performances. Lexington is just a 20-30 minute drive, though, so that helps. The social scene is a bit dry unless you are a college student, but that gets better with time and as you get to know the harder to find stuff.

My dad is retired Air Force and I wish you both the best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions or would just like a guide or someone to talk to :)

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by Krumlovgirl Online Now Nov 3, 2005 at 6:43 PM

After I posted that about the Richmond Register I got on the site and a big picture of my mother loomed in front of me. I guess she was on the front page. It was kind of surreal. (She works for the justice department.)The website won't give you everything that's in the paper but it will give you a general idea of what's in it. Good luck! I don't live there anymore but have lived there for on and off for the past 21 years so I can still answer questions. Mostly. :-)

• wenterskye's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by wenterskye Online Now Nov 4, 2005 at 9:28 PM

As someone who recently moved to the area, I really like it. Richmond is a small town with progressive ideas. There is much more to the area than the college scene. There is an excellent social scene here and I did not find it difficult to fit in. There is a variety of clubs and organizations you might find interesting. The community shows a lot of diversity. The school system appears to be progressive in their technology area and academically sound. I think you would enjoy living here and being involved with a diverse and progressive community. I would recommend that you do more job research before coming; jobs are tough to find all over. Check both the Richmond Register and the Lexington Herald newspapers for jobs. Good luck.

• carrie.kindred's Profile Photo

Re: What is it like there and how are the jobs in richmond and lexington

by carrie.kindred Online Now May 2, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Richmond is a great place to live. It's small enough to have that safe, neighborly small-town feel, but large enough to have decent schools and shopping. It's an absolutely beautiful place in the fall when the trees on the hills start to change colors.

As for jobs...your husband would have better luck finding work in Lexington. It's about a half hour's drive from Richmond. The only place I could think he'd find "networking" jobs in Richmond is on Eastern Kentucky University's campus.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines