Ribeauvillé Travel Answers

change location

Getes in area?

by nikkisportraits Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Hello,

I am a Canadian visual artist. During one of my recent classes that I teach, some interest has grown in a painting excursion to France. Rbeauville was suggested. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good gete in the area, where a group of 12 artists could stay, cook and paint?

Thanks for your suggestions.

www.nikkisportraits.com

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Jeannette1's Profile Photo

Re: Getes in area?

by Jeannette1 Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

C'est quoi "gete" ?
    J.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Getes in area?

by nikkisportraits Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Oh Pardon, I think I misspelled this word. Jete: is a place to rent. It might be a renovated barn or extra building on someone's property. There is usually a kitchenette area and several bedrooms for a group.

Nikki

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo

by Jeannette1 Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

do you mean "Gîte"?

Here are some gîtes in Ribeauvillé. It's a beautiful little town.
    http://www.gites-ribeauville.com/

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Hi. Beautiful area. You'll love it. We often use the Gites-de-France. They have recently redone their English-version of the site. http://en.gites-de-france.com/

If you limit your search to Alsace, Haut Rhin #68 (the region number), you will find all sorts of beautiful places. We usually stay in Barr but Ribeauville is probably more picturesque. Eguisheim is incredibly picturesque and there are many lovely wine villages that are very pretty. Use Google maps to find towns in your area and then do street views to see if they are paintable. Villages that come to mind are Riquewihr, Eguisheim, Bergheim, Obernai is spectacular, Turkheim . . . and the list goes on. Alsace is a great place for painters!

If you go in the off season, you might even make a deal with a small hotel in the area. Also, check local arts organizations because some will offer studio space and even help with logistics.

If you use gites, you might need to find a group of gites with 12 people. These are pretty easy to find and usually offer lovely grounds and shared common areas. Just a thought.

Type the names of these villages into the VT Search Window above. VT members have already written lots of Tips that have reviews, photos, things to do and web links to help you plan your trip. You can also click on the names of those who answer you here and visit their Travel Pages on the various places in Alsace. It's a great resource here on VT and also lots of fun. Perhaps you can get some of your group members involved in finding a place.

Good luck.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Here is a site you can check
    ribeauville-riquewihr.com/en...

I was recently in the area and the whole foothill region is lovely. I was in a little town just to the south of Ribeauville - Hunawihr - that has a church on the hill. It would be a great scene to paint.

Here is a gite that has 6 double beds and 4 single beds in Riguewihr
    homelidays.co.uk/riquewihr/h...
    The pricing says 175 euro/week but this is probably per day or per person. Riguewihr is also charming and pretty close - just to the south a few kilometers

a few more
    homelidays.co.uk/riquewihr/h...
    homelidays.co.uk/orschwihr/c...
    abritel.fr/location-vacances...

I would suggest not going too far west as you get into the Vosges which are lovely but the roads are narrow and twisty. I drove them when entering the area and there seemed to be hundreds of motorcycle drivers - and just enough that thought being on the wrong side of a turn was okay - to make the drive nerve wracking. I got tired of being on my side of the road and having to almost head into the trees to keep from having a head-on collision.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

oh and HI Sally and Jeannette - I am back and had a wonderful time!!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Hi Kathy. That looked like a good place for a group of artists. I wonder if the price is per week per room? It would be interesting to contact the owner and find out.

Glad you enjoyed your vacation!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines