Rhenen Travel Answers

change location

Relatives and History

by sandella Online Now May 19, 2004 at 2:55 PM

My maiden name is Roghair..i would like to know my history..i know one ancestor was a mayor of the town..but any pics of anything would be great..including the roghairsway street..Thanks Sandi

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Relatives and History

by pieter_jan_v Online Now May 19, 2004 at 10:58 PM

General info at rhenen.nl/asp/Nieuws/Nieuws.... There is a Roghairweg at Zipcode 3911 CG. The nearest picture I can locate at first sight is a 6km at http://www.buurtonline.nl/home.asp (fill in the ZIP-code here). I get 686 hits on your name Roghair in the USA only! At the local Cunera Church at Rhenen you will find the grave stones. There are 6 for the Roghair family (grave 63). The text on one of them is Mayor Roghair. Found this somewhere else: Leonora Eliza, born at Beverwijk on april 29, 1832, died at Rhenen on august 7, 1893, marries at Rhenen on july 30, 1868 with Gerhard Jacob Roghair, born at Rhenen on september 20 1833, Mayor of Rhenen, died at Rhenen on december 24, 1906. There is a hiostorical society website at http://www.oudrhenen.nl . This site has many interesting links for you. Good luck, PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Re: Relatives and History

by Pavlik_NL Online Now May 21, 2004 at 6:30 AM

Hello there, Well, as I see Pieter Jan has been as complete as ever. Therefor, I can't tell you anything more then he did. Rhenen itself is a small town at the border of the province of Utrecht (meeting Gelderland). It is known in the Netherlands of two things. First the "Grebbe berg" (berg - mountain) that is a strange hill in the middle of planes along the river Rhine (called "Lek" here). This hill has been one of the most fought for places in the short battle the Dutch army had against the Nazi masses. Still they stood ground, despite heavy losses. The other attraction is the "Ouwehands dierenpark", which is a nice zoo. Especially the bear forest in it is very nice, sheltering bears from all over the world that have been mis-used in funfairs, circusses and street entertainment. Also the sealion's show is big fun. Anyway, interested in your roots and the surroundings that they lived in ... be welcome in The Netherlands. Paul

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines