Reykjavík Region

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Name of Sweater Shop

Akureyri Jul 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I was in Aukureyri in May and purchased a sweater at a shop that was to be mailed to me. The name is something like Anna Hanna in it. It is on the main street. Need to find the correct name and telephone number as I have never received the sweater. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

more
    • Nice restaurant

Hveragerði Jul 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Is there a nice restaurant in Hverageröi for a reasonable price?

more
    • Round trip in 10 days - Opinions about Itinerary

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Hi everybody!
      We always wanted to see Iceland, but with the frequency we travel nowadays, this might well our first and only trip and we couldn't organize for staying more than 10 days.
      We are travelling with a 5 years old so we won't be doing any trekking, and the idea was to rent a car and stay at a different place everynight, all booked in advance through a local tour operator we got in touch with.

Admittedly the tour operator was suggesting to only focus on South and North, plus a Day in the West.

I am slightly worried we might be cramming too much in and end up driving a lot and seeing less than we would, so if anybody with experience with the country could give us an opinion it would be great.

Theoretically, driving times are feasible (googlemaps) but I guess we will run into lots of gravel roads.
      Is the insurance gravel waiver for the car a necessity?

Thanks for any feedback, we are a bit at loss!

Starting round 20 August

Day of arrival REYKJAVIK

Day 1 The South (Inland) Þingvellir National Park Geysir Gullfoss Waterfall. Accoms near here
      Day 2 The South Coast "Njal's Saga.
      Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
      Skógar magnificent waterfall
      Eyjafjallajökull Visitor Centre
      black sands and tall cliffs" Vik area
      Day 3 Southeast -Vatnajökull National Park / "Skaftafell - glacier vistas
      Jökulsárlón - glacier lagoon Vatnajökull Glacier " Hofn area
      Day 4 East "-views of tall and often uniquely formed mountains en route to the Eastfjords.
      -Djúpivogur and Eskifjörður-quaint fishing villages colourful old houses and harbours.
      -area around Egilsstaðir including Lake Lagarfjót, home to alleged sea serpent 'Lagarfljótsormurinn' " Egilsstaðir area.
      Day 5 Northeast Lake Mývatn / Lake Mývatn
      Day 6 "Husavik whale watching tour
      North Vatnajökull National Park -canyons, rock formations and waterfalls " Husavik or area on way to Akureyri
      Day 7 North + Akureyri "Goðafoss ('Waterfall of the Gods') en route to Akureyri town - enjoyable goethermal swimming pools, parks and museums.
      farmhouse museum at Glaumbær and the old turf church at Víðimýri.
      Húnaþing district - Seal Centre at Hvammstangi, Vatnsdalshólar hills and Kolugljúfur Canyon. " Hrútafjörður/Skagafjörður area
      (Northwest stop) suggestion: Book somewhere in between?
      Day 8 West Discover the lovely Borgarfjörður district. Climb the old crater Grábrók, view Hraunfossar and Barnafossar falls, the powerful Deildartunguhver hot spring, historic Reykholt and the Settlement Centre Borgarfjörður/Hrútafjörður area or Snaefalsness The diversity of the landscape and geology of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula is unique. Explore Eldborg Crater and the many attractions along the south coast of the peninsula including the church at Búðir, Arnarstapi harbour, Djúpalónssandur beach and Snæfellsjökull Glacier. Legend has it that the glacier is one of the seven 'energy points' of the Earth and author Jules Verne also famously featured it in his novel 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. Glacier tours are available during summer Snaefellsness

Day 9 REYKJAVIK

Day 10 FLYING OUT

more
    • Camping in Iceland

Iceland Jul 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I'm not sure what to expect for an upcoming camping trip in Iceland. Are campgrounds frequent and do they fill up? Are reservations needed? Is there a registration office at the entrance or do you simply drive in and set up? Any advise, as simple as it is, will be greatly appreciated! I'm afraid that I am a victim of the North American camping system which requires so much preparation and is so formalized that I have abandoned it.

more
    • Traveling to Iceland while awaiting residence permit card of Norway

Iceland Jul 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Hello,
      I am an Indian citizen currently living in Norway. I was in Sweden before where i got the decision that residence permit of Norway has been granted to me. While my Swedish permit was still valid, I came to Norway. However, my swedish permit has expired and i got the appointment to get my biometric data for permit card to poilce station which is later than my planned trip to Iceland. I got the decision regarding my residence permit of Norway after 4 months. Though on the UDI website they say for cases like me I should have got in 8-9 weeks. And it was during this period I booked the tickets for Iceland. Even for the cheapest non-refundable ticket I have to spend a lot to go to Iceland from Norway. Now, the only valid document is the letter from Norwegian Embassy in Sweden that says that residence permit has been granted to me. I contacted embassy of Iceland in Oslo, and asked that if I am allowed to travel to Iceland with this letter or not. They directed me write to to Directorate of Immigration, Iceland. However, even after couple of days I haven't received any reply from them. They also said that I cannot apply for Icelandic tourist visa from within a schengen country. Pleading to police in Norway for earlier appointment is also of no use as they seems to have 'patent answer': too many applications, cannot prioritize my case! Though I have traveled extensively in Europe, US and in Asia, it is first time that I am facing such a trouble. Many times when I travel within Schengen countries no one ask for any document. However, sometime I have been checked as well at the airport. So, my question is that has anyone traveled to Iceland in such a situation? What are the consequences if I travel with just this letter to Iceland and is checked for residence permit card? Please let me know. I really don't want to miss this opportunity to go to Iceland especially with bunch of fun people with whom I have booked this trip. Also, the money will go waste that is another issue as the ticket was non-refundable.

more
    • Tours to Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) in October

Iceland Jul 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Is it possible to visit the Westman Islands (Vestmannaeyjar) in October? We are planning our second trip to Iceland and this time we would like to visit the Westman Islands during the first week of October. I checked a few websites and found out that the tour companies provide boat tours only till mid September! :-(

more
    • jtj3runner's Profile Photo

Renting a car in Reykjavik for a day, returning late?

Iceland Jun 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Hi travel experts:

We'll be in Reykjavik overnight as part of a cruise we're taking - we arrive the afternoon of 3 September (around 14:00), leaving the next day at 13:00.

I was thinking of renting a car on the 1st day to drive the "golden circle" tour - maybe staying out past sunset, as I'd love to photograph the stars. We may return to Reykjavik as late as midnight - are there car rental companies that I can get a car and return it that late? If so, what's the easiest way to get back from a car rental place to the cruise terminal at that time of night? I assume a taxi would be best, but not sure if I'll have trouble getting one at that time of night.

Thank you!

more
    • 10 Days in Iceland

Iceland Jul 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Hi there,

Myself and a few friends would like to travel to iceland at the end of September 2014. I've done quite a bit of research on iceland itself and it looks like a experience of a lifetime. I had a look at guided non guided, have to do and see places etc. We live in South Africa and our exchange rate is not of the best and we would like to make the holiday as affordable as possible.

We would like to rent a vehicle and do a self drive around Iceland, but I am having trouble finding out the names of places worth stopping over for the night along the way. We would like to to a drive around Iceland and visit many of the main attractions in each area.

Many people have recommended that we spend our first and last day in Reykjavik which seems like a good idea. Essentially we will just be traveling for 7/8 days in total. It would be great if someone could give me the names of the towns to seek accommodation at during our stay over as well as the average fuel price there. Any additional info regarding pricing, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Many people speak fondly of Iceland and its people and I would like to make the best of the entire trip.

Thanking anyone in advance.

Thank you
      Westley

more
    • Shoes to wear

Iceland Jul 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Excited for first visit to Iceland. Best type of shoes in January for outdoor and indoor hotel ? Tennis shoes ok for indoor?
      Appreciate your help...thank you. N&G

more
    • 1978scotty's Profile Photo

hiring boots and clothes

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

For our trip at the end of November we will be arriving on Wed, Thur we will go on a 3 day and 2 night trip and leave on the Sun. We can hire boots for the trip at a fraction of the purchase price. At the moment this makes sense because I assume that we will be using a bigger boot for more sock room, back in England these boots will be too big because we wont need the same amount of sock layers. Then i was thinking about hiring the big thermal jacket and leggings.Is there anyone that has done the same? Was it the right thing to do?
      When we leave the airport we go via shuttle to the hotel and from hotel to airport via shuttle so what should I consider for this journey?

more
    • Whale Watching - Ólafsvík or Husavik?

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Hi all - we are planning a 10 day trip to Iceland in early August. We would love to go Whale Watching, never seen any. I know you can do tours in Reykjavik but the 2 areas I've read most about are West (Snæfellsjökull / Ólafsvík) or North (Husavik). What I read is better odds of seeing a Blue West but more quantity North, but again hard to see much online.

Just wondering if you were us and planned a day or whale watching where would you go and why? Personal experiences and insider tips very much appreciated! Have been waiting 35+ years to see a whale :)

Thanks
      G

more
    • 4 Days in Iceland Suggestions Please

Iceland Jun 25, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Hi, I hope that this community can help me again.

Myself and my husband are flying to Reykjavík, late September. We only have 4 full days there and really, really hope that we get to see the Northern Lights. Although I know, it is not guaranteed.

Anyway, I would welcome all suggestions of "Must Sees" whilst we are there. I have always wanted to see the Geysers and hopefully swim in the Lagoons. The Volcanic landscape really appeals to me.

I am guessing that it is best we hire a car too?

Many thanks for your help and answers!!

more

Popular Reykjavík Region Travel Answer Locations

• worksopian's Profile Photo

Banks in Reykyavik

Reykjavík Jun 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wheres the best place with the best rates to change money in Reykyavik.
      Thanks
      Ian

3 Answers Jun 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM
    • Address for bakery called Brauðhúsið in Reykjavik?? can't find!

Reykjavík Jun 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Hello

I have heard wonderful things about this bakery called Brauðhúsið but cannot find their address (or even a website). we would like to visit this place as we eat only natural food and would like to continue to do so on our trip.

Thanks!

2 Answers Jun 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    • Organic grocery store in Reykjavik?

Reykjavík Jun 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hello,

While my husband and I stay in Reykjavik we would love to still eat organic or at least natural. Are there any grocery stores that sell organic/ natural food?

Thanks so much!

6 Answers Jun 17, 2014 at 6:22 AM
    • best way to get around

Reykjavík May 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM

What is the best way to get around in the city? Are the taxi's expensive, is there good bus service and what does it cost,?

8 Answers Jun 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    • Getting to my Hotel

Reykjavík Apr 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

What is the best way to get to my hotel (the Hilton Reykjavik Nordica) from the Crystal disembarkation cruise terminal in Reykjavik. How far a trip is it? What will it cost? Also, how do I get from my hotel (The Hilton Reykjavik Nordica) to the international airport.

2 Answers Apr 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    • Statue of man outside bar

Reykjavík Apr 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I was wanting to know what the statue of the man with his head down is outside of the Geysir bar and Tapas is about. Thanks!!!

2 Answers Apr 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    • CAR RENTAL

Reykjavík Region Mar 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Should we rent a car for the 2 1/2 days we are in Reykjavik?
      we are nature lovers and we wonder if it is easy to find /drive to the various waterfalls
      and lagoons?
      We do NOT like big bus tours and wonder if we can find these nature features easily
      with our rental car?
      Also, Can you recommend a SMALL tour agency that might take fewer people on a tour?

7 Answers Apr 28, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    • spending 3 nights in Reykjavik

Reykjavík Mar 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM

WHat to do on a Sunday and Monday

3 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    • Soup restaurant

Reykjavík Mar 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Where is the soup and bread restaurant that advertises 800 isk for soup in reykjavik?

2 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    • Bike Rack Hire

Reykjavík Feb 25, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Hi,

A group of us are going to ride mountain bikes in Iceland at the beginning of June and would like to know where the best place to rent a bike rack is? We are hiring vehicles for the trip.

Thanks

1 Answer Feb 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    • Tips/Advice For Visiting?

Reykjavík Feb 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Hi all,
      We are visiting as a family in a few weeks (17,20,23 + mum and dad)
      We are staying in Hafnarfjordur for 4 nights. We are doing the Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle and Northern Lights tours.

Does anyone know how much the bus is from Hafnarfjordur to Reykjavik?
      Random question: Is it walkers or lays crisps?

Any must visit places in Reykjavik or Hafnarfjordur?
      We are keen bird watchers and photographers so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
      Lauren

4 Answers Feb 2, 2014 at 3:49 AM
    • Changing Money Over?

Reykjavík Region Jan 31, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Hi, we are travelling to Iceland in 3 weeks for a few days.
      Everywhere we have asked in the UK, don't exchange Iceland Kurona and understand everywhere in Iceland accepts Credit cards.
      We wouldn't mind having some cash, is there anywhere in the airport to change some money over? If so, how much do they charge? and whats the rate?
      We arrive in at midnight on a sunday

Thanks

7 Answers Mar 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    • ls27716's Profile Photo

I am thinking to do an erasmus of 1 year at Reykjavik University.

Reykjavík Jan 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Hello, I need to find a place to stay Iceland for a year. I do not need much (unfurnished room, toilet, shower). Price I would like to pay no more than 1000€ per month (so approximately 150000 ISK). Proximity to Reykjavik
      Thanks in advance for your time.

2 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    • Questions on where to stay and what to do

Reykjavík Jan 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Hello Icelanders and travellers!

My family is travelling to Iceland towards the end of March. There will be 5 - 7 adults. We have two half days and two full days.

We'd all like very much to see the northern lights, but there are just so many other things to do that we're having a little trouble planning even the most basic things.

Big question 1: Where to stay? We can't decide between staying in Reykjavik and travelling out at night for the northern lights, or staying 45 - 60 minutes away and (fingers crossed) watching the northern lights from a jacuzzi in the back yard. We definitely want to do the Golden Circle and eat some delicious food, and we definitely want to see Reykjavik. Whichever place, we'll probably be renting an apartment or house through AirBnB rather than hotel.

Big question 2: On one of our full days, we have two special birthdays, 30 and 70. (She's a very active 70). I'd like to arrange something special for these two women, both of whom will have traveled long distances for this trip. I'm thinking helicopter ride (but to where?) followed by dinner at Fridrik V. But very open to recommendations. If you had two special, lovely, hard-working women with important birthdays, and you wanted to arrange something memorable for them, what would you do?

Smaller question 1: Tour of the Golden Circle or rent a 4x4? None of us have recent experience driving in snow, and one of us has difficulty walking long distances. But we also would tend to prefer setting our own pace. Just can't decide...

Smaller question 2: General recommendations for a group that loves music, art, culture, good food? We're not big on drinking, and most of the group isn't into rigorous outdoors activity.

Thank you for your help!

4 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 3:34 AM
    • Would appreciate some advice from an experienced traveler...

Reykjavík Jan 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM

We will be in Reykjavik for one week at the end of the month, and I have a few random questions:

We booked the Best Western, which is about 1.5 km southeast from the harbor. We're not into the late-night bar scene but we want to be in easy walking distance from some sights, fun bars and good restaurants. Is the Best Western a good choice?

I'm looking into the Golden Circle tours which all seem to be about 8-10 hours long. How does that work as it's only daylight for 5 hours? How much time is actually spent in the car?

Is the Blue Lagoon still fun and worth it if you don't take a dip?

We arrive at 6:30 am, what-to-do what-to-do until check-in? I assume we'll bundle up when we arrive at KEF, take the bus into town and then venture out and about.

The 3-day city/bus pass is $72, in a city that all seem to say is so walkable is it worth it for other benefits that it provides?

Thank you for any tips and the time you take to help us out!

Here's to getting to see the lights!

13 Answers Feb 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM
    • where to stay

Reykjavík Dec 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Should we stay near someplace in particular?

6 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    • RickM37's Profile Photo

Holiday meals

Reykjavík Dec 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM

What are the best restaurants that are open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Reservations?
      - Rick

3 Answers Dec 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    • Advent/Christmas music concerts in churches and halls in December

Reykjavík Nov 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

My son and I are visiting Reykjavik from 6 -12 December and would like to know if any churches will have Advent/Christmas music in concert or services during this time period.

2 Answers Nov 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    • Iceland in November

Reykjavík Oct 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Hi ive arranged a 3 night suprise birthday trip to Iceland for my other half and me at end of November! Im starting to panic a bit about it now as everyone seems to say the weather is going to be awful and there will be nothing to do!! Or see if weather is bad!! Please help me start to look forward to it again!!

10 Answers Oct 23, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    • Tourist Tours

Reykjavík Oct 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

what to so see and do and the end of November?What is your question?

2 Answers Oct 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    • Vacation in Reykjavik

Reykjavík Oct 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hi,

I'm Planning to visit Reykjavík somewhere between 17 December and 1st Jan for 4-5 days. And i'm wondering what is the weather going to be like and is it a good time for some northern light viewing?

19 Answers Oct 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    • Weekend Break

Reykjavík Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Hi
      My partner and I are going for a long weekend to Reykjavik for my 30th towards the end of November, whats the weather like at this time of year?

3 Answers Oct 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    • Harrys Restaurant

Reykjavík Oct 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hello, Is Harry's Restaurant still open.
      Thanks
      Jackie Romero

2 Answers Oct 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    • what to do at night in reykjavik for over 50's ?

Reykjavík Sep 26, 2013 at 4:54 AM

what to do at night in reykjavik for over 50's?

21 Answers Oct 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    • Toilets in Iceland

Reykjavík Sep 24, 2013 at 5:46 AM

What public toilets are available in Reykyavik and on the Golden Circle tour ?

4 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    • dharmabum222's Profile Photo

Weeknight activities

Reykjavík Sep 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I will be traveling back to Iceland in December and arrive on a Monday and return to home on Friday. Are there specific nights that restaurants are closed or close early in winter? We will be doing "northern lights" activities most nights but would also like to eat/drink out. Thanks for any feedback!

1 Answer Sep 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    • hello folks! :)

Reykjavík Region Sep 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hi guys.I'm on exchange visitor program in the states for second year so i saved some money and now im looking for some new adventure.I'm planning about moving to Reykjavik,i already bought my flight tickets and payed for my hotel for a week.And after that i don't know what's next.I'll look for a job and a place where to stay,but with those icelandic advertisments it's start to get a little bit hard for me.I'm asking for any directions how to find a place to rent for a term of about 6months and how to look for a job.Thanks all and have a nice rest of the summer :)

2 Answers Sep 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    • Reykjavik stay

Reykjavík Sep 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I am planning to stay in Reykjavik for 2 days in mid Oct. (16-18). Will it be already too cold for comfort? Also, can someone give me an interesting (but not too hectic) plan for the two days?

14 Answers Sep 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM
    • Where to stay

Reykjavík Aug 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hi everyone, I found a guest house for rent that will hold out family of 5. I have been in contact with the owner. The listing is through airbnb. Has anyone used this service before? Alternately, can anyone offer any information on OK hotel, Thomsen apartments, CenterSpot Apartments, or Lighthouse Apartments?

Thanks

1 Answer Aug 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    • Travel time

Reykjavík Aug 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

What is the drive time from Reykjavik to the Geyser? We are only in iceland for a day and there is so much to see. Is there any half day tours?

9 Answers Aug 15, 2013 at 4:34 AM